Migrate from tests-passed to stable

Hi guys,

just wanted to migrate from 2.3.0beta9 to stable release and got this error:
What can I do here ?

Caused by:
PG::UndefinedColumn: ERROR: column “email_private_messages” of relation “user_options” does not exist
LINE 1: UPDATE “user_options” SET “email_private_messages” = FALSE, …

Thanks and greetings,

Wurzelseppi

You can’t switch to stable until stable catches up with the you. You can make the switch at the next stable release.

Why do you want to switch to stable?

3 Likes

Hi,

feeling a bit uneasy when running our productive environment in beta mode, to be frank …
But maybe you guys can relief me of that uneasyness ? :slight_smile:

Greetings,

Julian

If you search here you’ll see that the tests passed branch is better supported than the stable branch.

3 Likes

Thanks… then I´ll stay @ test-passed…

1 Like

Have been running with tests-passed for over two years on one of my sites and can’t recall any showstopping bugs whatsoever.

The bigger advantage is most plugins explicitly keep functional compatability with tests-passed so you get better third party support running that.

3 Likes

Hey, @Falco. This is the second time this has come up in as many weeks. Maybe there should be a comment in standalone.yml and web_only.yml that says something like

## Which Git revision should this container use? tests-passed is the best-supported and recommended for most installations

rather than

## Which Git revision should this container use? (default: tests-passed)
1 Like

I’m torn about that.

99% of the users won’t ever see the file since ./discourse-setup hides all the complexity.

The users going to the file, and reading a commented line, researching the alternative values of the key, and opting into a different one, while managing to ignore the various warnings in Meta are difficult ones.

We could just hide the key from that commented line, making it harder to shoot yourself in the foot.

Obviously those folks aren’t the problem. :slight_smile:

My point is that the commented line currently doesn’t give them any guidance and the knee-jerk for someone who does know what a branch is things “All I know is that my bosses want things to be stable.”

Whether to remove any hint of how to change branches or give them a stronger hint not to change it without learning a bit more is a fine question.

1 Like

I’d say let’s delete those lines then:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker/blob/master/samples/standalone.yml#L36-L37

I’d say “tests-passed is STRONGLY recommended”, but you’re the one who can make commits. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.