My discourse site is running version v2.2.0.beta5 +24 and I want to get it onto the non-beta of 2.3. Though the upgrade panel on my site looks like it’s trying to grab the 2.4 beta. Is there a way to retarget the update at 2.3 release? Maybe I need directions to do this in Docker instead of the admin panel?
tests-passed (latest beta) is the default version for all installs. Migrating to stable takes some doing in your container config yml on the server you’re running. If you’re up to the task, there is a line like the following:
Ah if you advise against it then I will heed that advice. We’re not a feature-needy group, a bunch of cyclists operate our team communications in Discourse. We’re happy to sit tight locked on our version for now but I was assuming that 2.3 was “stable” and potentially a better place for us to lock to as opposed to an old beta build.
That’s pretty close @marianord. Just add beta between tests-passed and stable and you’ve got it. I would add that I wouldn’t necessarily agree that tests-passed is the most stable - Discourse is a fast moving piece of software, there’ll always be bugs - I’d say any bugs on it get fixed pretty quickly, and you can update to the latest tests-passed release any time to pull in the fixes.
@Json_Blob, stable is “stable” in the sense that it does not get updated very frequently. While we do our best to iron out bugs before each of our major releases, we can’t guarantee we’ve found all of them. So stable means that any bugs you have will be there until the next major release, but you can also trust that new bugs will not be introduced for many months. See the second half of my post below for more details on each of our branches.
That makes more sense, ok, so it sounds like the advised path forward if my group decides to take an update is to get onto the “tests-passed” branch and off beta. Is that summation correct? In which case I follow Jeff’s instructions above for the YML adjustment
Correct. Any major security fix (those labeled SECURITY: on GitHub) are backported to both beta and stable. On occasion, though very rarely, we’ll also backport a non-security fix if we deem it critical enough.