Migrating from Discord to Discourse

Hi there,

I’ve been searching the forums, but haven’t found the step-by-step guide just yet.

I’ve seen others (like Vaadin here: Moving from Discord to vaadin.com/forum - Vaadin Forum ) successfully migrating from Discord to Discourse.

I have an active community of just shy of 1000 people I want to move to Discourse.

My main 2 questions are:

1. How can I automatically create Discourse user account for each Discord user (alongside with the proper trust level)
  2. What’s the best way to move the Forum channels content from Discord to Discourse?

Discord will stay in our techstack for video capabilities - daily calls and coworking sessions I run there, but we want to have Discourse as a main place for our long-form communication.

Is there a guide I could follow to make it happen?

2 Likes

From my quick read of their post

It looks like they didn’t migrate, they just left.

Can you get account information from Discord with proper trust levels? If so you can write an import script (see discourse/script/import_scripts at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub for examples).

Thanks @pfaffman - but they also said

we can manually migrate accounts if you have a lot of history in Discord and wish to associate it with your Discord account. DM us if you want to migrate your Discord and Discourse accounts.

This is my concern in here - since this is something that was done already - is there any documentation on it?

Is there a way to reach out to Vaadin and ask for guidance?

There is a discord bot plugin which

2 Likes

This could actually be quite possible by utilizing the Discord API.

Perhaps a way to do this would be to get the user to link their Discourse account to Discord using oauth. Then from there you can get all of their posts from your Discord Forums and then create the posts under their Discourse account.

Personally when I interact with the Discord API I use an API wrapper (Lot’s of alternatives btw) like disnake, as you can see the ForumChannel Object exists and from there you can perhaps then get the forums posts from there and then create these topics on discourse under ownership of the users discourse account.

2 Likes