Missing Name in Preferences

Hello!

I have enabled SSO for our Discourse installation, and everything works just fine. However, when a user views their preferences, their name isn’t displayed:

As you can see from this screenshot, username and email are displayed, and the users name is displayed in the header, but not in the Name section, as you’d expect.

Is this expected behavior?

I have checked, and name is populated in users, as is external_name in single_sign_on_records.

Also, is there any way to hide the “(optional)” text, as it feels very redundant here since a users full name is provided by the SSO provider, and we don’t allow them to change it via Discourse.

2 Likes

Is name showing up on user card?

What version are you running?

What plugins?

How was this installed?

This might also be related to certain site settings, I think (?)

Thanks Sam. Answers to your questions below…

Is name showing up on user card?

Yes it is.

What version are you running?

What plugins?

• discourse-details
  • docker_manager
  • lazyYT
  • poll

All of which I believe are installed by default.

How was this installed?

I’ve installed Discourse via Docker, using this repo: GitHub - discourse/discourse_docker: A Docker image for Discourse. Only the web app is inside a container, as we’re use Amazon RDS to provide Postgres, and Elasticache to provide Redis.

Let me know if you need any more information.

1 Like

Ok one more question, if you change your name to something totally different to your user name does it show up there?

What SSO related site settings do you have in play?

Ok one more question, if you change your name to something totally different to your user name does it show up there?

Afraid not. See below…

I changed my name from Mic Pringle to Joe Bloggs.

Here’s the list of SSO settings that I’ve either populated or enabled:

• enable sso
  • sso url
  • sso secret
  • sso overrides email
  • sso overrides username
  • sso overrides name
  • sso overrides avatar
  • logout redirect

curious, if you disable “sso overrides name” does the issue go away?

1 Like

It certainly does…

However, this is an issue for me because I don’t want to allow users to, or even give the impression that they can, change their name from within Discourse, since it won’t propagate to all our other apps. We have a dedicated profile page for that, and the “one source of the truth” is our SSO provider, hence me enabling sso overrides name in the first place.

Would you consider this to be expected behaviour, or a bug?

Looks like a bug to me…

Thanks for confirming this.

Million dollar question then, but is it something that’s likely to be fixed relatively soon?

Is that soon enough? :wink:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/81c6fb318b9648dbccf682579a049fb583660ac4

5 Likes

It sure is! That’s a crazy level of support - bug raised in the morning, fixed in the afternoon (at least in my timezone :smile: ), if only more were like you.

Thank you both for spending the time tracking down the issue, and then fixing it so promptly.

4 Likes