Mobile editor preview button and toolbar

Are you sure?:joy: Maybe some time later, youā€™ll be sad about this decision :thinking:

Getting back to this and doing some testingā€¦ I actually canā€™t get the edit conflict error to show at all nowā€¦ Not sure if this is related to your changes @venarius (canā€™t see anything obvious) or something elseā€¦

Hereā€™s how Iā€™m trying to trigger it:

1. User A opens composer to edit wiki post (revision 1)
  2. User B opens composer to edit same wiki post (revision 1)
  3. User A saves revision
  4. User B attempts to save revision

Iā€™m seeing the normal saving/saved draft icons in Step 4 both before and after I attempt to save the revision. The modal warning User B that theyā€™re about to overwrite an edit appears correctly.

I tested locally and on Meta and canā€™t get the edit conflict message to appear. Am I missing something? Can someone else double check?

2 Likes

@nbianca can you verify this did not regress?

2 Likes

Still not able to trigger the edit conflict, but that seems to be a separate issue.

Preview button is moved here

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/c57ab12238b85211b4750595b3325d98311102be

9 Likes

Why is image button below on mobile and not in toolbar like on desktop? I find this a bit confusingā€¦

Itā€™s an important action that isnā€™t easy to do on mobile without a button, and sometimes the toolbar isnā€™t visible on mobile (I think the toolbar also used to be hidden more often than it is today) - so it gets called out in a special way.

I could see how it would be confusing if youā€™re used to the desktop layout, until recently we had the button in both places, which would cover that familiarityā€¦ but we didnā€™t like the redundancy

3 Likes

How could you revert the change of location for the preview button?

But why is hiding toolbar still a thing on mobile? I ā€œlostā€ it once and thought it was a bug at first, that it did not show up anymore. Is really vertical space so big of an issue on mobile, that is worth this complicated UX?

1 Like

Yes, Android phones can have tiny screens. There are zillions of different Android devices.

5 Likes

Fixed by

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/91ff8684fd65cdaff268d8219491bf3fdc467f35

5 Likes

It seems that option 2 (Add preview button next to image upload) was implemented. Iā€™d like to share a couple of observations related to the resulting UX:

• A user on my forum (quite a web-savvy guy) simply could not for the life of himself figure out where the formatting toolbar had gone, to the point where he reached out to me thinking its absence had been caused by a bug. It looks like plans to conditionally make the toolbar appear on Android devices were not followed upon; would it be possible for this idea to be revisited and perhaps implemented?

• Additionally (or alternatively), a setting that would allow to switch off the toolbar auto-collapse feature altogether, and/or to define its default state on all devices would be greatly appreciated.

• The button that controls the display and collapse of the toolbar is a hamburger menu button, and this is an additional hindrance to discoverability. Itā€™s also odd, given that there no longer are actual menu items behind this button, only a single, immediate action. Could the icon be changed to something a bit more on point? Maybe a straight ruler? Or a pencil?

3 Likes