.mov is not working

can confirm .mov videos do not play. everything else is fine.

2 Likes

Did you mean you can’t select mov files? I’ve made a pull request to fix this issue: FIX: set the correct mime type for accepting mov files by Canapin · Pull Request #22 · discourse/discourse-insert-video · GitHub

Thanks for reporting this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HI,

At this point, mov is not working again… mp4 is working.

also, I hope webm and ogg will also work.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 7.27.08 PM

1 Like

From my tests:

• webm – works fine

• ogg – can work, but by default, you can’t select it because the mime type is not referenced here ; however, as workaround you can choose “all files” in the windows, and select your .ogg file, It will work. You should not be able to validate any files (even if restricted by authorized extensions setting) :thinking:.

• mov – doesn’t work as it is, but it can if you remove manually type="video/mov" or use type="video/mp4" instead. This should be handled in the component; I’m not quite sure what is the technical reason behind.

1 Like

Using the above method, mov also works. :smiling_face_with_tear:

It seems to be a bug. Thank you for your answer. :+1:

Also
In Android, the first frame of a video is displayed in the post even if an optional image is not selected, but in iOS, only a play mark is displayed.

On iOS, does it work if you use type="video/quicktime"?

No, it does not work… :sneezing_face:

I guess If you don’t have the codec that the .mov file has been encoded with, this will not work. Especially if encoded with old codecs. On iOS, It seems only MPEG-4/h264 is supported in <video>. I am not an expert; I could be wrong, though.

I’m not sure what would be the best way to fix that.
For Chrome/Edge and similar, you should use video/mp4 for sure.

Honestly, it would be easier (universally compatible, at least) to convert MOV to MP4. :thinking:

The issue does not occur when uploading a video file using the basic function, but occurs when uploading using insert-video. Therefore, it is not a codec issue.

Also, when the mov video file is removed manually type=“video/mov”, the uploaded video works on iOS, Android and PC .

I think it’s a bug.

Oh, I see; it works if you remove it.
Using the upload button works because it doesn’t define the mime type in <source>.

From <source>: The Media or Image Source element - HTML: HyperText Markup Language | MDN

If the type attribute isn’t specified, the media’s type is retrieved from the server and checked to see if the user agent can handle it; if it can’t be rendered, the next <source> is checked. If the type attribute is specified, it’s compared against the types the user agent can present, and if it’s not recognized, the server doesn’t even get queried; instead, the next <source> element is checked at once.

It’s not a bug per se, but yes, It might be a good idea to let the HTML tag check the file and to get the same behavior as the core as well. Will make a PR later unless the team has a better fix to propose.

2 Likes