Moving "off-topic" flagged posts should automatically clear the flags

Hi, hopefully this is the right category to post in, please feel free to move it.

We had a thread/topic on a forum that was going wildly off topic, and so a tranche of posts got flagged by the users with the “off-topic” flag.

Rather than have them sit there as off-topic, hidden, we thought we’d move them to their own thread since the discussion was valid just not relevant to the thread they were in.

This was the new thread created: https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/allowing-skin-perk-picks-when-entering-in-progress-game-discussion/65431/

It’d be great if posts that are flagged off-topic that get moved to a new or existing thread have any off-topic flag status removed from them, since the act of moving the post (rather than deleting or ignoring) feels like it should signal that the post is being put in to an area where it is no longer off-topic.

As it happens it seems that we’re then having issues unflagging these posts after the move, just as an extra bit of information.

15 Likes

Agreed, or at the very least, a way for us to remove the flags manually.

5 Likes

I guess nothing came of this yet? Seems a pretty significant feature to want in order for off-topic flags to be used well.

I agree. I hate that my flags are still attached after admins have moved posts to new/other threads (Off-Topic flag) or threads to proper categories (Something Else flag).

There should be both auto and admin manual clearing of flags.

1 Like

This topic goes back a few years. A while back ('18-'19) the flag system had some changes:

AFAIK, it’s fairly developed but if you know of a problem please speak up. (eg. moving from one category to another should deal with any involved “off-topic” Flags).

What I usually do for Flags that are “friendly” is Ignore them. And only after, maybe then Delete. I have found that Deleting before the Flag is dealt with records as Agree

IMHO, having some Staff-only info can help. eg. a staff note “deleted per members request” or a staff topic “About Anakin’s Flag”.

3 Likes

Nobody has talked about this issue since July, but it’s causing big problems in my community. People are starting to use flags more and marking things as off-topic.

The only options I’m given as a moderator are to agree and do something about it, disagree and restore post, or ignore.

For an off-topic post, the option I want is “Agree and Restore.” Yes, I agree it is off-topic, but bring the post back after I move it.

1 Like

Yeah, had the same issue. Moved the post, Ignored the flag, and couldn’t find how to unhide the post for a long time (finally found unhiding in the wrench list).