and for a fistfust of Ko sudo find /var/log -type f -iname *.gz -delete
then try again sudo apt autoremove
and finally sudo systemctl start docker
sudo /var/discourse/./launcher start app
sudo /var/discourse/./launcher cleanup

2 Likes

what is dock Daemon? how install it? @Benjamin_D @JammyDodger

1 Like

I’m afraid you currently don’t have enough space to start docker, which you would need to then run ./launcher cleanup (which would be the preferred way to tidy up any old containers/images leftover from previous rebuilds). Ideally, you’d also want your site to be live (./launcher start app) before you run it, so you have a fallback if anything goes awry with the rebuild.

I haven’t had a site that’s 100% full, so it’s a little unclear to me what may or may not work (autoclean and autoremove not being able to run, for instance). @Benjamin_D Do you know if it’s still possible to manually remove some files to free up a bit of space to get the ball rolling? eg.

cd /var/discourse/shared/standalone/backups/default dir

Copy the oldest file name, and then paste to remove it eg:

rm jammydodger-s-test-site-2022-04-12-033748-v20220407195246.tar.gz

Or possibly check for orphaned images and remove one or more of those:

docker images

Though it’s probably also worth mentioning that if your site has a lot of user uploads it may be that you simply need to resize. But if you haven’t done any server maintainence since you started, there’s a good chance a tidy up should tide you over for a while.

2 Likes

I think I’d aim at logs before anything more “app related”

sudo journalctl --rotate
sudo journalctl --vacuum-time=1s

2 Likes

I don’t know anything, but I would do first the most obvious thing: checking out if docker is on at all — as it says all the time:

systemctl status docker

2 Likes

I found this topic with a similar issue:

1 Like

@JammyDodger @Benjamin_D

Thanks for helping me and answering me!

I thought Discourse deleted files automatically!

How do I see which files are crowding my storage? And which files can I delete?

Do I do this using command or can I go to the forum settin

1 Like

To recover more quickly, might it not be best to migrate to a more spacious server?

Do you have a recent back-up? Migration can take very little time (under an hour?) compared with trouble-shooting an existing “unhealthy” server?

5 Likes

Isn’t there an option to scale the storage automatically?

2 Likes

I’m totally sure all of those tips are valid and right, and @Danielabc is lacking free space. However — I’ve been on that situation once and anything wasn’t broken, even I was on too small VPS (the 5USD droplet from DO is very problematic in many ways). I rebooted VPS and docker didn’t restart. That’s it, and errors were very similar, or totally same, than showed here.

But if everything is because of lack free space/memory, wouldn’t then the only solution be increasing size of VPS? Even shortly just to find out if the issue is lacking of resources? Because if it so, then OP is just using bandage that doesn’t hold too long and she will be at same situation again?

Because I’m just another end-user I love easy solutions. Knowing how to clean and keep everything nice and tidy is something that we have to learn. But it is not a solution, it is short time fix, where one can break places before that fix works.

1 Like

Can you try docker image and see what it says?

1 Like

It’s actually not the server’s fault, it’s 50GB, it’s all my fault because I thought Discourse automatically deleted things from the server, but actually I have to, but I just wanted to know where I see things that I can delete and which items can I delete?

1 Like

Automatically in the meaning yes, we can increase RAM, disk or both just by clicking. Automatically in the meaning where droplet scales up without asking permission when it is short of anything… I really hope not, or nobody should tell it to @Danielabc or me, because there is high risk to get enormous billing.

1 Like

Automatically meaning without having to backup the data and restore to a new server. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Discourse mostly will delete a lot, if you do updating/upgrading usein easiest way. These guys are doing many things differently than you and me who has very weak understanding what the heck is docker :wink:

If I remember right you are using a lot images. Those eat disk really fast, if kept on VPS.

1 Like

1 Like

docker is up ? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
docker image ls

1 Like

Then it is almost automatic upgrading :rofl:

• backup must do before upgrading (well, it is not must-must but really smart move), but I know you weren’t after that :wink:
  • yup, DO will do anything and all an user must do is brew some coffee and wait

Is this something called as off-topic… :thinking: :man_facepalming: :rofl:

1 Like

You’re right. But I’d be more comfortable with expanding a droplet where the system has at least a few free Mo, just in case the expansion require a reboot which could be compromised by the extreme lack of space, I’m not sure how it’s done however.

2 Likes

“Guys”, what do you think about that? harmless? my bet is a couple hundreds Mo

1 Like