Native theme feature feedback, bugs, thoughts, feelings, prayers

The ending comma with no following selectors could very well be causing trouble.

I just looked a bit for an online scss linter but but all I saw were dev side. Short of using a linter, that leaves manually pairing up curly braces - ugh!

In this stylesheet in particular the commas are at the end of many lines because itā€™s a work in progress and I add elements piece by piece. BTW the commas do not produce any errors infact I see the changes when I click Save.

Comments in my stylesheet now are both // or /* */ . I see that some online SCSS validators dislike //. But not Discourse.
As I said itā€™s a work in progress, I really donā€™t like use // but I wanna try the new panel with SCSS and for now thereā€™s no problem in the preview.

When I finish the work (itā€™s mostly a rework where Iā€™m cleaning the old stylesheets that I wrote over the years) I want to use only /* */ for comments.

It doesnā€™t seem like colors donā€™t seem to update when a theme updates a color scheme.

I updated a color scheme in my theme repository. It updates the color scheme in the admin ā€˜colorsā€™ page correctly, but does not update the resulting css.

Correct theme selected:

Selected colors correctly changed on theme update:

Resulting icons should be blue, nothing in the theme overrides. I have a separate color scheme with the exact same colors that works with this:

Edit:

A rebuild fixed the colors, but this seems strange as to why Iā€™d need to rebuild the entire site just to apply the correct color theme.

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

I can not reproduce this issue at all, can anyone else? What are the exact steps?

I canā€™t reproduce it now, but when I was creating the material design theme I experienced similar issues. I didnā€™t have to do a rebuild, but I did have to re-save the CSS after changing the colors for the variables to reinitialize. As I said, can no longer reproduce that behavior so that might have already been addressed.

2 Likes

I think these are the full steps I did - Iā€™ll try and reproduce today to confirm.

Create a theme repository with no color theme attached.
Import the theme into a discourse instance.
Apply the theme as default, attach an existing color theme.
Push an update to the theme to have a color scheme.
Pull the changes and switch to using the new (theme owned) color theme.
Push an update to the themeā€™s colors (no CSS changes)
Pull changes into discourse. Noticed that no colors change.

I didnā€™t try to edit the CSS in the theme, since I figured it would do it on the theme pull.

I can recreate this behavior on my local dev environment, but not on the Digital Ocean docker instance. On local, as soon as I make a change to the CSS and save it, it refreshes with the correct colors. If it happens on my docker instance I will let you know.

EDIT: I have recreated in production as well, but the same as above, as soon as I re-save the CSS file, the colors return to normal.

Ahh so this is specifically for an updated color scheme from a remote repo? I will add a test for it.

I am not using a color scheme from a remote repo. These are my steps to reproduce:

1. Create a theme that uses a color variable. Something as simple as:
.d-header{
    background-color: $header-background;
}
  1. Save your changes and apply theme with some custom color scheme
  2. Change color of header background in Customize > Colors

Observed Result: The background color of the header doesnā€™t change unless you go back in to your theme and re-save the CSS

4 Likes

Yeahā€¦ that makes sense, I forgot to invalidate theme on color var changes, I only invalidate the app.css, will fix.

8 Likes

Fixed per:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/7d9b5514ba61c17c7ab5597813519deeb1e30a81

4 Likes

:thumbsup: Thanks for the quick fixes Sam, I can confirm on my side that the colors change immediately ā€“ looks great!

Edit: Not sure if this is a bug here, or in the materials design theme, but it does not seem to update for some components - various elements that use lighten() functions are not pulling from the newly specified color schemes for some reason? Hereā€™s a screenshot when swapping the material design theme from the Material Dark color theme to the Blue/Red theme. The topic body doesnā€™t look like itā€™s updating its colors correctly ā€“

(sorry for the cruddy screenshot; ubuntu wants to not play nicely with screenshot tools right now)

specifically this element:
https://github.com/discourse/material-design-stock-theme/blob/b103aeb00dda3602ad87b13c0544dc8c17e75d3e/desktop/desktop.scss#L53

is being computed as:

.category-list, .topic-list:not(.categories) {
    background-color: #3b3b3b;

(Where secondary is fafafa for the chosen color theme.)

If it helps, this is not the default theme, but a user selectable one. The default themeā€™s secondary is 202020

Can you touch CSS is the theme (which should fix it) and then see if you can break it again?

Be sure to check out latest in ā€œTheme Landā€ cause you can now ship custom fonts if you need toā€¦ :construction:

1 Like

I can confirm that touching the CSS fixes this, but changing the color theme breaks it again back to #3b3b3b

(Running v1.8.0.beta11 +140 in case I didnā€™t grab the latest patch somehow.)

You are going to need to be on +147 I think. Try getting latest.

1 Like

If a font is freely available via a CDN (like Google Fonts) is there any reason to ship them like this vs a link?

It will work behind firewall I guess, but same pattern works for any asset

1 Like

Must have tried to rebuild+pull too soon ā€“ looks like this in good, working order post updates - thanks Sam!

Edit: Should a user selected theme be attached to a specific client/browser, or for the specific user login? I seem to have the ability to pick different themes across different browsers for a single user ā€“ is this the expected behavior?

3 Likes

Yes that is the expected behavior, user themes are ā€œper deviceā€ and a different browser is a different ā€œdeviceā€.

3 Likes