Need proper documentation for multisite discourse with docker

docker

(Athithan) #1

Hi,
I am searching a proper documentation to create multi site in single server but still I couldn’t find well defined documentation for intermediate level developer. I have tried some multisite discourse with docker articles but they haven’t helped me.

1. http://www.webhostbug.com/setup-multisite-discourse/
  2. Discourse Multisite Install – PixelDigit

Please create a documentation something like this discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub . I believe it will be a very useful documentation for most of the developers. Thank you.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

We already have it, search howto category here.

(Athithan) #3

Do you mean this one ?

Sorry I am trying to create my first site if you guid me bit clearly it would be much appreciated.tnx

(Jeff Atwood) #4

That’s the one, you found it!

Unfortunately, multisite is just complex. There really aren’t any shortcuts.

(Kane York) #5

Well, the real shortcut is to just have multiple standalone containers. I don’t think we have a how-to on that.

(Tarak'ha) #6

Which is better? One multisite container containing all instances or multiple containers with their own instances? I’ve wondered about this.

(Neil Lalonde) #7

@Pon_Athithan It’s likely that you were trying to launch a new multisite install when there was a bug that prevented that from working. I just ran into this today and fixed it.

This was the error:

StandardError: An error has occurred, this and all later migrations canceled:

undefined method `to_sym' for nil:NilClass/var/www/discourse/lib/slug.rb:6:in `for'

I think it’s been broken for the past 22 days, since this pr. If you can make it through our guide, it should work now.

Last year, before Docker, having a multisite installation was easy.

The only issues were:

1- Restart the App after updating to the latest version.
2- Running Migrations.
3- Some downtime during this process (nothing important for 99% of our Discourse installs)

What kind of complexity adds Docker to this?
I understand that having two or more containtesr seems better, is the correct way, but I don’t really see the compelxity of doing this properly, with a good documentation.

I think it’s complex because we need to understand better how to properly navigate the Docker ecosystem :smile: but not for Discourse.

Am I correct?

(Sam Saffron) #9

It’s just as “simple”

You provision the db and add multisite.yml

It’s documented in detail in the howto.

Thank you! I’ll will check it now.