Having problems understanding multisite

I’ve googled instructions for a few days now, and I’ve read the commonly recommended guides. I don’t really feel they are helpful.

I’ve been doing stuff with computers for over 30 years, and I have to say installing Docker and Discourse has been the second most difficult thing I’ve ever had to deal with, and I’ve been through a lot.

Please please don’t bother replying if you are just going to paste a link. The chances are I’ve already read it and it didn’t help. I need more specific instructions and questions answered as they rise.

My current setup:

1. I have a working Discourse forum installation up and running.
  2. I need a second one on the same machine. I think I would prefer to have it in it’s own Docker container (is that possible/advisable? I don’t know.)
  3. It’s been a while and I have zero recollection how I got the first one installed and Docker working.

Details:

• I absolutely hate Docker from the bottom of my black heart and don’t understand it.
  • I’m redirecting traffic from Apache to Discourse.
  • Discourse is installed at /var/discourse/
  • I’m using Let’s Encrypt certificates.
  • Email is set up and works.
  • app.yml: https://pastebin.com/cW5UuJGh

Please walk me through step-by-step how to add a second forum in a sensible manner without destroying anything?

This is already really well documented.

If you’re flatly refusing to review the links to existing resources, the only thing I can suggest is you post in the marketplace to pay someone to do this for you.

The scope of the community support we provide here is for the standard install, which you’ve already completed. If you followed that guide to install your instance then the multisite documentation is pretty straightforward.

I’m not clear why Apache is in the mix, and you’ve not explained, but it’s not a part of the usual multisite install.

Thanks, Stephen. That really helped me to solve my problem.

Also, I didn’t post this in support. Someone moved it. I don’t know why - this is not a support issue, IMO.

And I have to tell you, after reading your excellent documentations for three days I’m thoroughly impressed as an end user how good they are.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.