New contributors vs TL1

Out of curiosity, I threw exports for some of the standard reports together in the same graph & found this pair of data sets very interesting:

The default requirements for TL1 seem pretty reasonable to me. Perhaps even minimal (10min?):

• enter 5 topics
  • read 30 posts
  • spend 10 minutes

So I’m wondering about the gap between the people who sign up (blue line) but don’t make it to TL1 (red line). And I’m wondering if I could (should?) do anything to move those lines closer together.

Thoughts?

If most of TL0s are one timers then there is no need to adjust something, I think. But if the main reason is lack of post readings then that should be lower. Perhaps. It depends if those users needs something you offer to TL1s.

I dropped off likes. I don’t see any purposes to count those (mostly because I don’t like idea where rewarding happends only because of pure cilicking, plus my users are using so heavily reactions and only one of those is counted as like)

2 Likes

How’s the spam bot situation in your neck of the woods?

There’ll always be some genuine users who register an account, get distracted, and forget about a newly discoverd site / not bother coming back, but ‘illegitimate’ registrations would be my first thought.

1 Like

Fortunately, we have remarkably little spam.

Fair.

Our site is primarily product help/support. Users come with their problems. I guess the ones who don’t make it to TL1 are those who simply post without having looked around to see if the question had already been answered…

Only a few weeks ago we enabled the search banner. The hope was that it would encourage people to search before posting, but the diff between New Contributor & TL 1 doesn’t show that:

1 Like

Well, ordinary users never do searching, anywhere. Actually… if they would do they don’t need support in many cases :wink:

2 Likes