New iOS mobile app beta available for testing

Sorry to be late to the party. I just joined the TestFlight hopefully I can help with the next point release

2 Likes

On the latest beta is the “still loading” screen really needed? The progress bar shows that it’s loading? Am I missing the problem that this new display is solving?

I guess the progress bar could be a little lower down or more visible until the page is loaded?

The buttons under “still loading” also seem odd. Why not have them at the bottom of the screen like the buttons that appear there when you’re browsing a forum?

I actually only see this new display whilst loading meta, not any other forums. And it only appears for a fraction of a second. Not enough time to even press it. It was difficult even taking a screen grab!

I assume it appears after a certain amount of seconds? Maybe it could only appear if the progress bar isn’t moving very quickly?

Video
(This shows a new bug: progress bar doesn’t appear when recording the screen)

2 Likes

The “still loading” screen on the latest beta solves the problem described in I got trapped by a really slow site but I think your comment rightly points out that it’s triggered it a tiny bit too early. I’m pushing a new beta to fix another subtle bug, and will adjust the timing of the loading screen as well, showing it only a few seconds later. Its purpose really is just as a fallback on the rare occasion a site loads way too slowly or doesn’t load at all.

Edit: new beta build 163 should be out.

8 Likes

Thanks Penar!

Any thoughts on the progress bar being hidden when recording a screen?

I think we can live with the progress bar being hidden while recording.

3 Likes

For completeness - it’s also hidden when I’m on a call.

1 Like

By that token is it also hidden whenever GPS is active?

1 Like

Indeed it is. Good catch.

I assume any other states where the status bar is drawn differently by iOS will have the same result.

1 Like

Yeah tethering too I expect.

1 Like