New Users that are invited by admin/mods are coming in with Trust Level 2

Currently, our site is private & all invitations must go through the Staff. All new users that are being invited by Staff are coming in at Trust Level 2. I’m fairly certain, I’ve correctly set this to Trust level 0. I’ve included what I believe to be the necessary Settings below. please let me know if I am missing anything.

1 Like

Those settings certainly look correct. I’m assuming your staff aren’t manually bumping the staff level - you can check that by going to /admin/logs and filtering for change trust level.

Do you have any non-default site settings? Have you perhaps changed the site settings for TL1 and TL2 promotion such that users immediately reach the requirements?

3 Likes

I have verified that no one in the logs is using “change trust level”.

Currently we want the promotion for each Trust Level to be manual, so we’ve configured all the Trust Level requirements with “0” since 0 appears to stand for “infinite” in most settings. Could this be causing the Trust Level upgrade issues? See the image below:

1 Like

0 in this case does mean 0, so users have to enter zero topics, read zero posts, etc before being promoted. That means that they do all of that instantly upon joining, and thus reach TL2. To make promotion manual you’ll want to set a high value on all of those. Setting tl1 requires topics entered and tl2 requires topics entered to a number many times greater than the topics on your site will do the trick. For example, if you had 25 thousand topics (like we do here on Meta), setting the value to 100,000 should be safe for quite some time.

5 Likes

That solved it. Thanks so much for your assistance, @jomaxro

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.