Newly added non-ASCII category page does not load

Hey all,
On a fresh docker install, I added a new category … but it does not load when the link is clicked, just displays the loading icon but never actually loads.
Same on FF and Brave.
I have added no plugins.

Could it be related to the accented Spanish title, I wonder? …
as in …

Político

3 Likes

To get working non-ascii slugs you will want to enable slug generation method to encoded in the site settings.

3 Likes

Genial, gracias.
I have done that now … but I guess I have to re-do the category in order that the slug is auto-generated anew?
But how do I access the page if it won’t load?

1 Like

We have the same problem, and our slug generation method was already “encoded”.
And it is definitely linked to accents, all our pre-existing categories that had accented titles are now inaccessible.

On my hosted site, I set the slug generation method to ‘encoded’ and then create a category with the name ‘catégorie de test’. After creating the category, my browser’s ‘too many redirects’ error page is displayed. If I then go back to the categories page and click the ‘catégorie de test’ link, I get stuck on the categories page with only the loading spinner displayed.

There are no errors in the site logs. In the console I’m seeing:

Uncaught (in promise) no-response: no-response :: [{"url":"https://testeleven.trydiscourse.com/c/cat%C3%A9gorie-de-test/8/l/latest.json?order=default&ascending=false"}]

Is that the correct encoding that’s being used for the word ‘catégorie’ in the slug?

4 Likes

There would seem to be some kind of bug here …?
Appears related to languages?

Also related to my other post … also language related …

Hi, I am looking for a solution myself …

Update:
I ran the offered site updates via admin.
All went fine.

Now when I try to load the problematic category page, instead of just endlessly trying to load, the page returns an error :
Firefox “The page isn’t redirecting properly”
Brave " This page isn’t working sitename redirected you too many times.

1 Like

This seems like a bug to me. I will move the topic to our #bug category.

To fix the issue on my site, I went to the Rails console and ran:

c = Category.find_by(name: 'exemple de catégorie')
c.update(slug: 'exemple-de-categorie')

After doing that, the category loads correctly. To make this change on your site, you’ll need to substitute your category’s name for the name I used in the above commands. Set the slug in a similar way to what I did above - replace spaces with - and remove any accented characters.

Let us know if you are not sure about how to access your site’s Rails console.

5 Likes

Thanks, amigo.
Yes, that works a treat.
:balloon:

1 Like

This is now fixed here :arrow_down:

7 Likes

Marvelous.
Well, super efficient support you guys!
Thanks!