NGINX is Broken?

Alright so I’m on my Ubuntu 18.04 LTS VPS, and I’m building the app and everything. After it’s done, I go to the website, and it just says Welcome to NGINX!
nb
I have no idea what made it do this, the app.yml looks normal, so I don’t know.

1 Like

Maybe you have another nginx webserver running on that server. I’ve never witnessed Discourse give up and display the generic nginx welcome page.

4 Likes

That’s what I thought, so I looked for a process name that matched NGINX, I got nothing. Then I listed all the processes, but there was nothing?

EDIT: I’ve never installed NGINX on that server

1 Like

Although I remembered how I got to this. I set an email for Lets Encrypt, it was ls@theforumssite.xyz, then I un-commented that and the two templates. Then I rebuilt the app, then it didn’t work. I reset everything (deleted the discourse folder) and set it up again, and it does the same thing.

1 Like

Are you using cloudflare?

1 Like

Yes, I’m using cloudflare, DNS only, but it gives the same going to the IP address directly.

Where are you installing this?

On an Ubuntu 18.04 VPS in Google Cloud.

Okay well now it’s working all of the sudden? But still no HTTPS (Connection Refused)

Okay, now I have no idea what’s going on. I create two ssl files (ssl.crt ssl.key) and put them in /var/discourse/shared/standalone/ssl, I enable the ssl template (Not Let’s Encrypt), and I add this config in the run section. When I go to HTTPS, it refuses the connection, but now when I go to HTTP, it just sends no data?

I’m on a Google Cloud VPS with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS installed.

It would be better if you’d kept this in your other topic.

Rather than fuss with your own certs, the easy solution is to re-run ./discourse-setup and give it an email address for let’s encrypt and it’ll do all the work for you. If you want to do it the hard way, you’ll need to search here for the topic that describes how to do that and follow those instructions.

1 Like

There’s no good reason to create your own let’s encrypt certificates, that’s the point of discourse-setup asking for the email, you’re adding unnecessary complication here.

Have you verified whether your server is accessible over :443? DigitalOcean is recommended because none of these obstacles exist there. We can’t help you if you insist on ad-libbing parts of the install process and can’t offer much assistance at all with Google Cloud.

1 Like

That’s what I thought of doing, but I also thought that people would just see the tag unsupported-install and just click away

As you aren’t following the standard install what you’re doing isn’t entirely supported, so the tag would be accurate.

The exact same happens when I do the email process with Lets Encrypt

Alright, that’s my mistake, I’ll keep this in mind for when I post topics.

Right, and because you’re using Google Cloud you have the added complexity there to deal with. That’s a choice on your part, it’s not something we can assist you with.

Alright, I understand, thanks for the help!

discourse-doctor will try to tell if port 443 is open via your domain name. My guess is that it’s being blocked by a firewall/security policy. I think that I remember that you have to open it on Gcloud.

1 Like

I thought it already was? I’ll check again and reply if it is open or not.
I also added an email, and rebuilding right now to see if that makes a difference.