Normal RAM Usage

(Dustin) #1

Hello, I have Discourse installed on DigitalOcean. I see the minimum requirements are 1 GB of RAM, although it seems my server is using more than expected. Any thoughts, is this normal? Thanks!

(Matt Palmer) #2

What about that screenshot do you consider to be abnormal?

(Dustin) #3

Hi Matt, I don’t know if you had a chance to read the rest of what I wrote, but I read somewhere Discourse only requires 1 GB of RAM. If that’s the case, it seems my installation is using more than expected. I don’t have any users yet. Before restarting the server, some of the swap memory was being used as well. Perhaps I didn’t know Discourse needed so much memory, and that was my question: are these normal results? Most of the allotted memory is being used. Thanks!

(Vinoth Kannan) #4

Check the existing topic below

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #5

Yes, that’s normal.

What you can do is tune down the unicorn workers number. In one instance I have:

• 280MB per unicorn worker

• 200MB sidekiq

• 180MB unicorn master

I guess going from 4 workers to 2 can shave you some memory.

PS: I’m assuming that you are running a ghost town, when you get more users revisit this.

(Dustin) #6

Thank you. Your response has been the most helpful. Any advice on getting it working on Linode – maybe even how to migrate the forum? Linode uses a different kernel, so it’s going to be a manual installation, and the kernel has to be switched as well. I can get double the memory with less storage on Linode instead of DigitalOcean, and the performance is also better.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #7

I have followed this guide soem months ago, and it worked fine:

However, keep in mind that people have some concerns with Linode security:

About migration, it’s easy. After having Discourse running in both servers, backup from old, restore on new.

(Dustin) #8

I saw that tutorial, but it’s hard for me to use something where the person who wrote it doesn’t understand what’s going on. Here’s another resource I might try. Thanks for the help!

(Dustin) #9

In regards to the security issue, I think this article on Linode’s blog may have a few answers.