Not using volumes (or automatically using S3) when hosting with Docker

Hello! Is there a way to host Discourse via a Docker image and not use volumes? I was wondering if there was any way I could hook up the volume through the compose file/docker command line to automatically link the volume to S3.

S3 is object storage and volumes need a full file system, making then comparable with the EFS in the lingo of AWS services, not S3.

That said, by configuring Discourse per Configure an S3 compatible object storage provider for uploads and Configure Discourse to use a separate PostgreSQL server you get a mostly stateless Discourse. Hook it behind AWS ALB for TLS termination and AWS Elasticache for Redis and you are full stateless.

3 Likes

When you say mostly stateless, do you mean, it doesn’t require volumes? Right now, I’m trying to deploy Discourse to Railway which doesn’t support volumes. It supports Postgres, and I could theoretically hook it up to S3, but I’m not sure how I would do that. Thanks for the information, though!

Right.

Doing that would require a fairly sophisticated understanding of Discourse, Redis, postgres, S3, and SSL termination. It’s not going to be supported here.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.