Notification count in Tab

(Mittineague) #1

I know I saw it as “experimental”, but it was working here at meta up until recently.

So I’m wondering if it’s now being absent because it was given up on, or is it something else?

I can learn to live without it, but if I could help troubleshoot I’d be up to that too.

(Sam Saffron) #2

Sounds like a possible regression, it used to work fine

@eviltrout can you have a look.

(Mittineague) #3

If it’s any help. my primary browser (ATM) is Firefox 34.0

(Sam Saffron) #4

hmm seems to be working in chrome for me.

(cpradio) #5

It is working in Chrome for me as well.

(TechnoBear) #6

It’s still working for me, too - Firefox 34 on Ubuntu Gnome 14.10.

(Mittineague) #7

Hmmm, I don’t have any idea why it wasn’t, but now it is again

(Jeffrey L Frusha) #8

New user, not an admin. How do I find this function, to turn it on? Closest I can find in Preferences is " Show new / updated topic count on browser icon".

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Correct, you found it.

(Also @Mittineague this was busted for a long time with CDNs. But we fixed it for 1.4)

(Jeffrey L Frusha) #10

Then it’s not working for me, in Chrome, or Firefox.

I get it in the banner and at the Avatar. but not the in the Tab

(Sam Saffron) #11

Count is only there when browser tab has no focus …

(Jeffrey L Frusha) #12

I mean it’s not doing it at all, in the tab, even when I was working at another tab and y’all replied.

(Jeff Atwood) #13

Replies to you do (aka notifications) not increment that number, only new or updated topics. It is equivalent to the blue bar that appears on topic lists when stuff updates.

Essentially it is the number of new or updated topics since you last looked at the tab. It is NOT notification count.

(This is all very, very confusing to me still @sam)

(Jeffrey L Frusha) #14

OK, Unread posts since last visit? Still not getting that in the tab, which is what I’m trying to ask, though, even in FB, Unread Message flashes in the Tab, while email always shows unread in the In-Box (as of last refresh). Is it possible to add that to Discourse? Maybe that’s a better question…?

(Sam Saffron) #15

Well, at least that is the way it is intended to work, it appears broken now.

The intention is quite simple and easy to explain.

If you sit on a tab, (unread/new/latest) the number there reflect how many new things exist in that filter ever since the tab was in focus.

Go to unread, flick it to a background tab… you see (2) … therefore there are (2) unread things since that tab had focus.

But … it appears broken now.

(Sam Saffron) #16

This was broken 11 days ago:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/4f890a439cdd113c58bdb379a55381a4738d1a37#diff-510670e2a0f8b2e3a9c970a2e4f9a84b

I just fixed it up, and will do a nice FAQ that clearly explains how this works with pictures which you can refer back to in future.

(Sam Saffron) #17

I just made a wiki for this,

Feel free to clean it up and add it to official docs @erlend_sh , keep in mind that I just fixed a pile of brokeness here today that regressed recently.

(Jeffrey L Frusha) #18

Thank you! Now it shows here, how long before it feeds downstream to other websites using Discourse?

(Sam Saffron) #19

We have a major release coming out in the next few days, hopefully lots of people upgrade then. Totally out of our control though excepting the sites we host.

(Jeffrey L Frusha) #20

Heads-up, @kensims… >.<