"Onebox Assistant", crawl for those previews reliably!

Dang, I’ll re-add this plugin next rebuild and hopefully it was just some temporary weirdness. Thanks again and sorry for the goose chase!

2 Likes

No worries, it’s always good to take a look at this plugin once in a while.

And on that note I’ve upgraded the structure of the plugin and added a minor tweak to the overrides to take account of a one-liner change in core (but was working prior to this in any case):

Core change: discourse/lib/oneboxer.rb at main · discourse/discourse (github.com)

New commit to plugin: IMPROVE: plugin structure, minor tweak to keep up with core · merefield/discourse-onebox-assistant@4c1d9bd (github.com)

3 Likes

Update to keep up with Discourse resolving a breaking change:

Breaking change: DEV: Don’t patch Sanitize::Config · discourse/discourse@46176b7 · GitHub

Resolution: COMPATIBILITY: bring in line with changes to SanitizeConfig · merefield/discourse-onebox-assistant@8415e68 · GitHub

2 Likes

I’m trying to get this site to Onebox:

hinz.org.nz

However, I get a code of 403 when using the standard Discourse oneboxing:

I confirmed that it will deliver a onebox on embed.rocks/try, and it does:

embed.rocks/try output

Therefore, I’ve setup this plugin and configured it as in the OP with an Embed.rocks account. It works fine on other sites, but for hinz.org.nz I get no onebox and this in the console:

I’ve trawled this topic but can’t find anything that helps. Any suggestions?

1 Like

That’s not a Onebox. Onebox is specific to Discourse so this doesn’t prove out enough. Embed.rocks is using all kinds of special cases and workarounds that are not a mirror of what Discourse is doing. We don’t use it to generate cards, so this is irrelevant for us, and it means you can’t use this as a safe test. We only use embed.rocks to return the original page source.

Have you checked the link on the FacebookMeta dev link opengraph checker tool? Any warnings?

2 Likes

Inspired by your post, I did spend some of my Sunday refactoring the plugin as it appears the Onebox gem has migrated into Core.

I don’t believe this was your issue, though as my overrides were working I believe, but now they are more thorough.

If you could please update and test this (version 3.0) I’d be grateful:

COMPATIBILITY: improvements with changes to reflect onebox gem moving… · merefield/discourse-onebox-assistant@1d64888 (github.com)

3 Likes