Onebox no longer works for my wordpress site

(Tobias Eigen) #1

Continuing the discussion from Did onebox change? They're not showing for my main site any longer:

Not sure what’s going on here or if it’s related to this topic, but my site used to onebox beautifully in discourse - it no longer does as of a week or so, even here on meta. I just updated my discourse to tests passed… no dice. No changes recently on the wordpress site until we updated some plugins today.

Example URL that should onebox:

https://namati.org/resources/childhood-statelessness-in-south-africa/

(cpradio) #2

Are you on latest?

There were these two issues prior

(Tobias Eigen) #3

Thanks @cpradio! Yes, I am on latest… I updated after reading these posts shortly before starting this topic. Also, it doesn’t work on meta either as you can see above.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

The OpenGraph data looks OK to me, any ideas @eviltrout?

Iframely URL Debugger - Open Graph, Twitter Cards, oEmbed

Internal URL no longer oneboxing
(Lars) #5

Could be because of HTTPS? Though an analysis of the certificate shows that everything should be fine…

(Lars) #6

Did you look at the logs in your dashboard? If onebox fails it should write something in the log…

(Joffrey Jaffeux) #7

I just pulled onebox and manually added namati.org to onebox/whitelisted_generic_onebox.rb at master · discourse/onebox · GitHub

So if something is broken it’s probably not directly related to the domain.

(Joffrey Jaffeux) #8

Given discourse/whitelisted_generic_onebox.rb at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

It will return true for namati.org so the domain should be automatically whiteslisted as far as I understand onebox at the moment.

(Robin Ward) #9

That site seems to be returning nothing for our custom user agent Discourse Forum Onebox vXXX

If I use Ruby like the onebox does outside of Discourse the onebox works fine.

So this must be the result of our new user agent string.

(Tobias Eigen) #10

So maybe I need to check with my wordpress host, wpegine, about accepting this user agent string?

(Robin Ward) #11

Yes that would be a good thing to do. It’s curious they accept Ruby but not ours.

(Tobias Eigen) #12

OK, looks like my problem is solved. From wpengine chat:

Yep it does look like it came and got a 200 OK! I added a rule to your server config file to outright allow the user agent.

I can confirm that it’s now working again - also in the OP above which I just edited as a test. :rocket:

(Robin Ward) #13