I’m trying to reduce the prominence of a particularly busy widely visible category in our /latest view, as it is turning off quite a lot of our new users who are joining the forum to primarily access a private category. I still want them to see / know about the busy category, but not be overwhelmed by the stream of topics / replies in it.
Can you suggest a smart way of doing this? I know that I can do the following, but none quite hit the spot:
- Remove access to that category
- no good, I need them to get some exposure to it, especially if @mentioned
- Mute the busy category for all of these users
- drastic as the category now vanishes completely. But could work if I make a route back to it
- can’t do it for just one group in the UI, challenge to manage with new joiners+++
- Turn down the search priority of that category
- Make a clever implementation of this Theme component:
However, I can’t quite work out which Topic List Sort order to use. If I use /latest?order=category, it puts the categories in reverse alphabetic order, which is weird. Can they be reversed?
Any other suggestions?