[PAID] Avoid topic creation when blog posts are loaded

What would you like done?

We have a blog (https://blog.scientific-python.org) that embed discourse comments.
Currently, whenever someone loads a blog post, an associated topic is created on discourse.
Instead, we want to wait until a reader clicks “start conversation” before doing so.

This is basically an exact copy of [paid] Preference to create & embed a topic via JavaScript only when a user clicks the "Start Discussion" link

I just want to see if there is renewed interest.

When do you need it done?

No specific timeline.

What is your budget, in $ USD that you can offer for this task?

I will consider any reasonable quote, but I estimate the work to be on the order of 5 to 10 hours.

3 Likes

Don’t want to discourage anyone from taking this as a project but I believe an acceptable compromise already exists which allows the topic to stay unlisted until first comment has been posted. A lot of users choose to do that instead of deferring topic creation so I thought it might be of your interest.

3 Likes

I concur, this is something I’d be happy to look at Stefan, but be sure this is necessary.

• I created a fresh Ghost install
  • Updated a cloud install of Discourse to 3.2
  • Linked them in settings
  • Published an entry on Ghost
  • Am redirected to this when hitting Start Discussion

As you can see, @itsbhanusharma is correct, the Topic is unlisted.

So, whilst the Topic is created, it won’t be “seen” “publicly” in any lists.

See:

If this doesn’t suffice I’m open to looking at your requirement further.

1 Like

What I’d like to avoid is the creation of a bunch of empty topics.

2 Likes

I also find this annoying. I wonder if this could be solved by an option to hide unlisted posts for staff. Probably not globally, but maybe in specific categories. And, of course, there’d need to be a way to turn off the option temporarily. I think that’d be less work than changing the way the system currently works.

I appreciate all the suggestions for alternative options, but this proposal is for stopping post creation until a button is clicked.
Are there any fundamental objections to that idea being implemented as proposed?

2 Likes

I’ve investigated the issue further, and think I now know how to implement a workaround. Thank you for your interest, everyone.

1 Like