[PAID] Make my forum into an app

What would you like done?

I want somebody to make my Discourse forum into an iOS and Android app as demonstrated here: Whitelisted Discourse app with Push Notifications via OneSignal

I can’t wrap my head around it, it’s just too advanced for me. I need a trustworthy developer/team to do this for me.

When do you need it done?
A week.

What is your budget, in $ USD that you can offer for this task?
$100.

2 Likes

Your budget is too low for the amount of work required. If You’re up for negotiations, I am available on bhanu@orng.co

6 Likes

If you can develop some plugin to do so, the cost can be divided among many users.
One is me.

1 Like

I would also like this done. I can provide all necessary credentials but do not have access to a Mac to compile. I’ll pay $200.

FYI a native app developer worth his/her salt would charge a couple thousand for an app that isn’t just a webview of the forum!

1 Like

To clarify, it’s just hiring somebody to do the instructions for you - there is a official topic here on how to make your forum into an app, and not everybody can do it.

4 Likes

For a simple webview, search for PWA.

Otherwise I‘d like to quote Businessinsider:

On average, across both iOS and Android, an app that takes eight weeks to develop from beginning to end will cost roughly $48,000 in the US.

It depends on your requirements…

1 Like

There’s no need to do this, as Discourse looks fine on mobile. Recreating the app entirely to provide a native app experience would be reinventing the wheel for the sake of doing so.

I believe @nexo and @waffleslop were inquiring basically about a fullscreen webview.

Note that FULLSCREEN flags aren’t possible with Discourse; it breaks the reply system. I inquired in a separate thread, and was told off, saying my idea was stupid. A week after release, hovering at nearly 50k downloads.

I currently have my forum on an iOS and Android app, and used a Webview and WK WebView in Android/iOS respectively.

iOS is a complete mess to deal with, Android was seamless. Both apps together, took about 30 minutes to convert into WebViews.

I did this to create a premium experience for my users, even if it is just tapping a button and opening what is essentially a browser window without a URL bar, it offers a better experience, which is what I wanted.

If anyone is looking for some help DM me, I’ll let you know how I did it.

The app itself (programming) takes 30 minutes tops, the signing for iOS takes hours. Android takes about 15 minutes from scratch.

7 Likes

Would you by any chance be up for writing this up in Meta? My users would be very much up for a webview app. I take on board the points people make about Discourse being a near-app experience anyway, but you are right that some users just can’t conceive of the idea of an ‘app’ unless they have downloaded it from the app store.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.