Per-category ads with official ad plugin

How difficult would it be to have the ad plugin customize ads on a per-category level? Is that something that might be added to the ad plugin at some point?

4 Likes

Sounds like a good idea but I haven’t heard customers asking for it. Are you getting requests Jay?

4 Likes

I’ve got one. It’s a site where categories are geographical areas and people are likely to be interested only in particular areas.

4 Likes

Bookmarked and requested.

Robert

3 Likes

I think you can do that with key-value targeting in Google Ad Manager. i.e. when the url contains /c/california-mineral-rights show these relevant ads, or something to that effect.

https://support.google.com/admanager/answer/188092

6 Likes

We sell our own ads on a separate portion of our site, but I would like to be able to add subtle banners in our forums,

subtle as it doesn’t take much to make the natives whine, or phone users, they seem to be easily upset :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Did Specific ads per category get solved? This is our whole marketing strategy - we want to have people be able to ‘Sponsor’ a category.

1 Like

The solution that I used was to create ads that were turned on and off with CSS. It’s a bit of a hack (in the sense that it’s inelegant) but it works well enough for the client that needs it.

I think I can imagine a plugin that solved this a bit more elegantly if you have a budget.

Do you need just one ad per category? Or do they need to rotate?

We definitely have a budget to create something - we use hosted Discourse - We are Pre-Launch and want a SIMPLE way of adding and monitoring these ads over about 9-10 categories/Sub-categories.

Unless you are in an enterprise plan that allows custom plugins, you’ll need a theme component solution. The hide/show with CSS solution is probably your best bet.

1 Like

:frowning: we are not Enterprise level… Is that option still possible to ‘find someone to do it for us’ - We are ideas people not programmers.

Hi @pfaffman

I have used the CSS solution. But it shows one random Ad . We are using the House Ad block.

at a time. Hence chance of showing relevant is very less as I have around 20 category ads.

Most of time it shows different ad.
Please help on this.

That’s my best quick solution. If you have a budget, please contact jay@literatecomputing.com or post in #marketplace.

1 Like