Play music on topic

Is there a working method to play music in the background of a topic?

The idea is that, when users enter on a topic they will hear a song playing in the background
I saw a plugin, but it’s no longer working

For example, we would like that on this topic the YouTube “The Final Countdown” video will play automatically:
https://community.makeroid.io/t/makeroid-relaunch-date/5132?u=barreeeiroo

Maybe adding a MP3 file or whatever and set an autoplay or something :thinking:

1 Like

There is Media Autoplay Plugin (discourse-plugin-autoplay) but Google Chrome blocks it from working, unless your users are watching videos with sound on almost every visit to your domain.

5 Likes

Alternately, I wonder if there is a way to have site-level or category level background music through means of a plugin or something… Although I suppose having site-level background music is no different than opening up your favorite streaming service and have that play in the background.

I’m on an aviation-based forum and a few categories are dedicated to specific airlines. Some of those airlines feature native boarding music on their aircraft. Being able to incorporate, for example, the boarding music of Qatar Airways to play in the background of the Qatar Airways category would be pretty sweet!

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t know that…
Probably that was the reason why it wasn’t working

Any alternative?

After skimming through the documentation provided by Google, I wonder if there is a way to store the music/media on the forum and have it play based on a trigger of sorts that circumvents the automatic aspect… For lack of programming knowledge, I’m not even going to try to type out some sample code to illustrate. Hopefully I’ve explained clearly enough and I can try to clarify where need be.

If you want web pages to auto-play music, the easiest thing to do would be to go back about 10-15 years. Almost everyone on the planet hates web pages that make noise they didn’t explicitly ask for, so they all use browsers that keep that from happening. :wink:

4 Likes

Agreed.

If you just google “website music autoplay” there are numerous articles that go over the reasons that you should never have autoplay.

1 Like

An acceptable alternate form of this feature would be a floating “music player” added on the page. By using a native <audio controls loop>, the user would be able to control whether it was playing.

wonder if this is possible now, this is a cool idea.

I doubt it. Autoplaying media hasn’t gotten any less annoying over the past five years.

hmm, it is not annoying with some light background music, and a pause button.

actually, seems it should be doable, adding a player to the banner area …