Plugin: Feature voting separated from Likes

My thinking is that the normal vote would remain. The “super vote” isn’t an extra vote, it’s just a normal vote that got promoted to super. As far as showing this in the interface goes I haven’t tackled that bit yet, but I was thinking it could be something similar to what we do in the standard topic index with Like ratios, i.e. a topic with a high likes-to-replies ratio will show a red replies count.

I think the latter sounds best. If possible it’d be nice to have a simple “Only show super likes” toggle, but that’d just be a bonus.

So, as i alluded to when answering #1, I don’t think super votes should add more votes. This wouldn’t be quite like UserVoice.

The closest real-life version of this I can think of is actually Tinder. So, if you’re at all familiar with how it works (you know, like, you have a friend who uses it or, like, whatever), you can Like someone and you can Super Like someone. A Super Like is just a Like with some additional perks. And while you can dish out a whole bunch of Likes every day, Super Likes are very limited. I think it’s 1 per day.

So when you get Super Liked, it’s pretty exciting, because “ooh, this person used their oh-so-precious Super Like on me? I’m intrigued”. And you’re counting on that same effect if you’re sending someone else a Super Like.

I want to replicate a similar effect with Super Votes. And I also think it’s a cleaner separation of data. You get to easily count:

• Number of voices
  • Number of passionate voices

In default UserVoice, you can give an idea 1, 2, or 3 votes. I don’t think I’ve ever given an idea 2 votes. I give my 3s to my top priorities, and then I spread some 1s around mostly just to keep track of some other Nice-To-Haves. That’s one extra thing I didn’t want to have to figure out for myself. And if there are people out there using their 2s, how in the world am I supposed to interpret that? In my world, “medium priority” is the same as “low priority” because they both get trumped by “high priority” every single time. Lastly, if a UV idea has 900 votes, that means somewhere between 300-900 users voted on that idea. I’d much rather see up front how exactly many people could be bothered to +1 this idea. Then, layered on top of that, tell me how many of these users consider this a top priority.

2 Likes