Plugin: Feature voting separated from Likes

I’m very aware this plugin is still in “meat & potato” mode of development, but a garnish idea to keep in mind…

After reading both Feature Voting thread and the spec thread

And seeing the recent video of it in action currently…

I’m a bit uncomfortable with “super votes”, the interface User Voice uses of “1”, “2” or “3 votes” is easy to understand… super votes I’m still struggling with.

I’m just imagining having to to describe it to users the value of a “super vote”, I wouldn’t have to describe the value of a “like” or “regular vote”.

This might be a throw away thought - but perhaps…

… something “informational”, less “massive buttons with loads of text” could be put in the interface to indicate that “Super Votes” have more value and perhaps a little UI animation gimmick:

• Get rid of this:
  • Make this smaller too - I call it a tooltip:
  • Informational tooltip - really just asks:

Is topic important to you? Next time, hold down the vote button to make a Super Vote.

Holding down on the vote button could perhaps animate the “Star” in the same way as “Facebook’s BIG thumbs up”:

I’m imaging a small amount of discover-able functionality…

Regular vote

1. Were the user taps / clicks the “vote button”
  2. A small star would animate behind the vote count
  3. The small star would disappear
  4. vote count increase
  5. the button text change to “voted”
  6. A tool-tip would then appear to the right of the voted button, text similar to the following:
  • You have X votes and Y super votes remaining.
  • Is topic important to you? Next time, hold down the vote button to make a Super Vote.

Removing a vote

It’s pretty well understood that clicking a “like” or :heart: button - removes that like.
I don’t think it “Remove Vote” popup option is needed, just click the “voted” button.

Super Vote

As mentioned in the “regular vote” description above - the Super Vote is discovered via the tool tip.

1. Holding down the vote button should animate a star behind the vote count
  2. Holding down for too long will make the star “pop” and clicking vote not be counted.
  3. Letting go of the vote button after it has gotten to a reasonable size would…
  4. The large star would remain behind the vote count expanding to a set size
  5. vote count increase
  6. the button text change to “voted”
  7. A tool-tip would then appear to the right of the voted button, text similar to the following:
  • You have X votes and Y super votes remaining.

Holding down on a “voted” button

I think this is part of the discovery…
The user would then click the “voted” button and it would remove the vote - even if they hold down on it - yes just maybe slightly unexpectedly if they have just been told they can “hold down on ‘vote’ button to super vote” but…
… the user would then discover that’s how to remove a vote…
… and then have the ability to add the vote, or hold and add a super vote.

3 Likes