Post only certain WordPress categories or tags?

Forgive me if I’m missing something obvious, but I’m a relative newbie to Discourse and am still struggling to understand how to find documentation of various features.

I would like to only start new discussions for a particular tag in my WordPress installation (although I could use a WordPress category if necessary). Is there a way to do that? If so, can you please help me see where that is documented so that I can learn how to find these things? And if not, can you please tell me if this feature is being developed, planned, or contemplated?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Like

It does not currently exist. I believe I’ve suggested it in the past and @simon was amenable, but I don’t know that it is being worked on.

I think it’s a great idea.

Unless you have enabled the Force Publish option (found on the WP Discourse Publishing Options tab), posts need to be manually published to Discourse by selecting the ‘Publish post to Discourse’ checkbox on the post edit screen. This will let you choose to only publish posts that have a particular tag, or are in a particular category.

If you have multiple authors on your WordPress site, and you want to only allow them to publish posts to Discourse that have a particular tag or category, a small change would have to be made to the plugin to make this possible.

Can you describe your use case a bit more so that it’s clear what you’re trying to accomplish?

2 Likes

For myself, we have several categories in WP that don’t make sense to push to Discourse for discussion. However, most of my posts are in the other categories, and so I default (not force, though) to publishing to Discourse. If I could specify which categories auto-post to Discourse, that would save a bit of work (and avoid potential errors of omission).

Not that big of a deal, but it would be nice.

2 Likes