Post Rate Limit Trigger for a topic that's heating up

Although 4 hours is then already super slow motion, should be either configurable in the topic drop-down of this new feature or at least globally, because “slow” can mean something different for community A compared to community B.

3 Likes

Youtube live chat is a great example but the way the implement slow-mode there is a bit different from a Discourse site.

Slow mode in Youtube only applies to livestream chats. Since you can only have one livestream at a time on Youtube, the way they handle the “preferences” for how slow is slow-mode wouldn’t really apply in Discourse.

On Youtube, you can control that on a per-live-stream basis. Adding that kind of granular control in Discourse where you can specify how slow is slow-mode on a per-topic basis is probably a bit too much.

Perhaps a site-wide setting would work better in Discourse?

Something like slow_mode_duration and default to 1 hour? (Given that it’s already a heated discussion and I think 1 hour is enough for most people to cool off)

1 Like

Let’s make it a configurable number of minutes with some pre-seeded time amounts, for example Telegram does:

Which we can translate to:

Yes!

I’d say also a composer warning is a good idea:

10 Likes

Awesome, let’s make it so :muscle:

7 Likes

I think you need to fill out some of the intermediate values there, it’s biased too hard towards the short durations. How about this list:

• 15 minutes
  • 1 hour
  • 4 hours
  • 23 hours (we can call this 1 day in the interface, but this one needs a little leniency)
  • 6.5 days (“1 week”)

The duration selector should probably support seconds even though we don’t really want to encourage people doing that. Well, that’s why it isn’t a preset! Somebody’s probably going to have fun setting it to 42 seconds or something like that.

We should definitely encourage people to edit their replies and be more considering, so I think the only editing restriction should be disabling bump if you’re within the slow mode window.

7 Likes

I love this idea. It’s the kind of thing I always wanted to add to Discourse. I did not know Youtube already had this.

8 Likes

Looking forward to this feature. Unfortunately not available for tonight’s Presidential debate :crazy_face:

BTW: It would be good, if this will also be available for category moderators right from the start.

4 Likes

Yeeeeeeah. Even on my site I’m not looking forward to that one.

7 Likes

Sure @eviltrout did you want to assign this?

4 Likes

Super happy that we’ve gotten to this! Any updates @Roman_Rizzi or @eviltrout?

3 Likes

There’s a PR ready for this feature, which I aim to merge this week! I’ll post an update here when it’s available.

8 Likes

How to disable slow mode again, once it has been enabled for a topic?

Two ways:

• Using the button inside the Set slow mode modal.
  • Clicking the :wastebasket: at the bottom of the topic.

I still need to fix a couple of issues. I have a PR open and will probably merge it tomorrow:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/10945

6 Likes

I merged some fixes this week. The feature should be stable now and you can enable it from the topic menu:

7 Likes

We are looking for active feedback on this feature, so please feel free to deploy latest Discourse and exercise it!

10 Likes

I anticipate this being very useful in about 12 days…

5 Likes

Thank you so much! We’ve already started using this and it seems exactly what we needed.

I contributed some translations for this feature.

2 Likes

Today’s the day (week? month?)… let the testing begin! We are heavily prioritizing improvements to this feature so keep the feedback coming!

5 Likes

We’ve had users complain that they can’t edit their posts to correct grammatical mistakes, since edits count towards the rate limit. While I think allowing free editing would defeat the purpose of this function, I think editing counting towards the rate limit is definitely counterintuitive.

What about allowing a admin-defined grace period where users are still allowed to edit, and then disallow editing of posts? I think any case where a user editing their own post resets the timer is just likely to cause frustration.

Users can edit their posts during the grace period determined by the editing_grace_period site setting. Keep in mind that the edit could still fail if the diff is too big. Admins can tweak this via the editing_grace_period_max_diff and editing_grace_period_max_diff_high_trust settings.

2 Likes