PostgreSQL Stuck During Rebuilding

This is a workaround for now until we have properly identified what is the cause of the problem for a selected group of users like yourself. The difficulty for us now is that not all users are experiencing this problem and we do not have a reliable reproduction of the issue.

1 Like

Does the problem go away if you move onto the latest beta release?

Surely that’s what they are trying to do by upgrading? :sweat_smile:

(NB there is no beta branch anymore )

Above seems to be talk of upgrading from 3.3.0 to 3.3.1. I wonder if they go straight to 3.4.x whether that might help?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s not completely clear though:

Which suggests they were not on stable, but on tests-passed?

1 Like

For me, the hanging issue was fixed by running apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade to update my droplet. I’m on Ubuntu 20.04 and once I ran those commands and Alan tried the rebuild again, it worked without hanging. And once Discourse was up to date, my Oops screen went away and all is well. Might have been unique to 20.04 or something else that got refreshed when I updated everything, but hopefully that can help others.

This didn’t work for me, but I was able to perform an successful rebuild using the workaround suggested by @tgxworld.

For further info, bumped Ubuntu version to 20.4 on the affected VM. Attempted a rebuild, but it got stuck in the same place. Rebuild was successful using the workaround, but took much longer than normal. In particular a db query updating Topic Voting plugin took around twenty minutes to run. I suspect it might not be related, but thought I’d mentioned it as seemed curious.

We are indeed on tests-passed right now.

2 Likes

@here It looks like older versions of Docker is incompatible with the newer Docker image which we have released.

Here are the steps to fix the problem:

apt update 
apt install docker.io
cd /var/discourse
./launcher rebuild app

I’ve also bumped our launcher script to abort if we do not at least detect Docker 20.10.0 running.

7 Likes

I did the docker version upgrades and now it seems to work.

Note, in case with memory related problem increasing the memory is not sufficient. You have to call ./discourse-setup again. Likely even that this was the real fix and it now rebuilds without a problem.

Edit: see below, I was myself out of date.

unnecessary input from me

A good move - and this, I think, is why the standard advice should always include a git pull:

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

It’s rarely doing anything, but when it is doing something, it’s important to do it. So it should always be in there.

Unnecessary and redundant I believe see:

oh, interesting, thanks

1 Like