Upcoming changes to the beta branch of Discourse

We are streamlining our release process and are removing the beta branch. It will be replaced with a new beta tag that will always point to the latest beta version.

What does this mean for you? If your Discourse instance is currently tracking the beta branch, then you’ll be prompted to rebuild your Docker container on the command line to pick up this change:

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

Afterwards, everything should work as it did before as all involved components have already been updated to support the new beta tag. :partying_face:

:discourse2: Hosted by us? Then there’s no need to worry. This change will not affect your site.

23 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Problem rebuilding because of slow database shutdown

What does that mean? Is it same as test-passed, aka. default?

1 Like

If you’re on tests-passed already, then no action is required for this change, which only applies to people tracking beta:

5 Likes

When I built my production site a few weeks ago, I followed the standard instructions to build a new site and what I got was the beta branch. So how do I switch to the the passed tests branch?

1 Like

You’re likely on the tests-passed branch. That will give you the latest beta version.

EDIT: You can tell by looking in your app.yml and searching for “version”.

3 Likes

Yes I am, but doesn’t it seem strange to have a ‘production’ version called beta something?

2 Likes

see: Is Discourse always in "beta"?

4 Likes