Previous/next topic

We have implemented Discourse for our company’s forums, and I just received the Previous/Next topic functionality as a feature request. I am curious to hear what’s become of this request for the official Discourse project.

1 Like

Generally use keyboard shortcuts (press the ? key on your keyboard) or use Suggested Topics at the bottom of every topic, which is a de-facto “next”.

1 Like

Both “solutions” will not work for people who got used to this functionality from other forum software.

Howerver, if the team does not see the necessity for this feature, I guess it should be pretty much plugin material we’re talking about here. “Previous” and “next” topics should be the same as in the category list. So starting from the current topic, we should fetch the two neighboring topics, insert the URLs into two buttons, add them in the footer section above the suggested topics, and would be ready to go. However, I wonder how big the request volume for this feature is: I’ve heard this complaint exactly once on my board; and we have 7k users…

1 Like

I also will chime in here for a previous/next unread navigation element.

Our community follows a sports team. Just about everything posted decays quickly. Over the weekend, a bunch of threads will be started or added to about the last game, the next game, the performance of league teams, latest recruiting news (it’s a college team). Our members like to check in and read up all the new threads, or new additions to threads, and know they’re caught up. It’s like browsing a sports section that is only about your team.

Right now that requires a lot of pogo-sticking to the top of the categories’ lists.

The suggested posts is a good idea when the community topics are not so ephemeral. Right now, when the team we follow is playing, say, Michigan, the suggested topics might be the last Michigan game, or another IGT (in-game thread) for another team (presumably because we use the same abbreviation in the topic title).

There’s very little call for contextualizing our posts/topics beyond recency.

I can see where many (most) communities would benefit from this kind of thing. I once managed a staff of information architects who worked on ways to provide contextual links on 50,000-page Web sites; it’s hard to do, but has a huge payoff when done well.

Ours is not one that benefits. Discourse is superb for us in so many other ways that not being able to quickly go to “next unread” it is a minor annoyance. But it would be a nice addition.

1 Like

Some of this may be solvable quite easily with a few switches

• Should you consider tagging here, so there is some way to glue team games together? Eg: tag Michigan games with #michigan

• Perhaps we could enable a mode were last N topics where there is tag and category overlap always show up in suggested.

We’re actually not interested in last year’s Michigan game - that was an example of the kind of algorithm-driven suggested link that makes no sense for us.

We’re just looking for a way to read through all new posts without having to return the the “latest” list to do it.

1 Like

But suggested already does that, can you explain how it is failing.

If there are unread posts in topics you are tracking we will show them in suggested first.

If there are new topics suggested shows them second

Otherwise … random

1 Like

That’s what I do, almost always.

If I have understood correctly, I think it is related to this:

For example, today I read through my unreads here on Meta. Then I read through new topics in a couple of categories I’m watching. Having read the last of these in Features, I’m presented with this:

However, visiting the “New” page shows there are still at least two new threads in UX, a category I’m watching, but these are not shown to me as suggested topics. Instead, I see Support and Dev, which I’m not watching.

As I said in the other thread, my expectation would be that “Suggested” prioritises categories I’m watching, but this is not the case for new topics.

2 Likes

I may be misunderstanding, or in a weird situation that is not bringing out the best.

We migrated our forum from an existing SMF install. Many thousands of messages. Users are not that psyched, so new posts have been low.

It may be that without new posts, the suggested posts is over-represented with what it believes are the best possible but are actually of little-to-no relevance.

As all users are wont to do, I have begun ignoring the suggested posts when my first experience with it was not helpful. I’ll pay better attention.

We are also suffering from being used to the features we had that don’t have an immediately obvious parallel on Discourse. In most (maybe all) cases, there is a parallel that we just have too stumble upon.

SMF had its own problems (UI and everything else), But getting to the bottom of new posts on a thread and simply hitting “Next” was kind of nice. :slight_smile:

You may want to go into site settings and turn down the suggested time interval, which defaults to 1 year, to something like 3 months so it is only suggesting more recent topics (when it can’t fill from new and unread).

This is where I am struggling big time. If there are no new posts, nothing is going to really help you.

If there are new posts in tracked topics OR new topics… they will always be on top of suggested before anything else.

Maybe the issue is that you have a huge number of OLD topics that nobody is tracking?

3 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback on this … Reduced the time frame on related to 30 days and at least the related are now somewhat relevant due to recency.

We’ll see how it plays out.

1 Like

@codinghorror I have come back to this topic now that I use the sidebar a lot.

What tends to happen is that I am looking at a “subset” of topics but suggested kind of prioritizes the wrong thing for me.

Specifically I am working through a specific subset (new topics in “ux”) but random “unread” stuff tends to get in the way in suggested. This will be an even bigger problem with various advanced filters like “tracking” and so on.

I was thinking maybe we start with a keyboard shortcut only for “next/previous” topic

How it works?

• When you visit any topic list (top/unread in a tag and so on) we keep track of it as the filter in memory. (this should also work for full page search)

• When you type t n it will take you to the next topic in the “most recent list”.

• When you type t p it will take you to the previous topic in “most recent list”

Overall, I have pushed back on this feature for years and years, but now I can see how tremendously useful it can be for specific workflows.

How do you feel about making this a core feature (keyboard shortcut only)?

3 Likes

I think it’s fine as a keyboard shortcut.

1 Like

Prior art in GMail is they use j k for this, clearly we can not use these as they are already taken. But it is very interesting they picked to use the same shortcut they use in the list.

I am trying to comb through existing shortcuts to see if we can do a single letter here that is intuitive. arrow right and left are intuitive, but missing from some keyboards and may be too easy to mis-press, I will start I guess with a 2 letter shortcut unless I get a magical brainwave.

2 Likes

This is complete for top level nav, tags and categories per:

Will see if I can add it to PMs, search and bookmarks, but the basics are all here.

5 Likes