Suggested topics should prioritise watched categories

I can’t believe this hasn’t already been discussed, but if it has, I couldn’t find it. My apologies if this is a duplicate.

“Suggested topics” shows unread topics until there are no more of those and then displays new topics.

Expectation:

It will display first new topics in the categories I’m watching.

Actual:

Here on Meta, it invariably displays support topics first, which is not a category I’m watching.

I imagine I would not be the only person to find it helpful if new topics from watched categories were displayed first.

Hmmm, that doesn’t happen to me.

For me it goes

• unread
  • new
  • other topics in the same topic as I’m in (read or otherwise)

Same here. But after the unread, I would expect the first suggested “new” topics to be in categories I’m watching. After all, if it’s “suggesting” topics I might be interested in reading, then I’m more likely to be interested in those than anything else. And after those have been exhausted, then move on to other categories. But that’s not what happens. The suggested “new” topics always start with support, which I’m not watching.

Category preferences are not used in suggested topics at this time. However if your category is set to watching, that changes topic notification state in every (new) topic in that category, which is used.

1 Like