Private tags incorrectly shown in tags drop-down

Is that in fact a bug though?

I think it’s an improvement to the dropdown, not really a bug. So you were right about re-categorizing as a feature.

Lesson: I am always right. I knew it!

Except when you are wrong! :wink:

I can see how this is open to interpretation and am fine with the categorization.

But I will have to turn this off until the feature is implemented, or limit how we use tags in my community.

Regardless, there is zero concept of “private tag” that’s something you made up in your head :wink:

If anything this is a feature request for an explicit boolean toggle that says “this tag can only be used and seen by staff” or what have you.

That said, it is sensible to enhance the drop-down so it does not show you empty tags in the category, e.g. tags that have zero topics represented in that category.

3 Likes

Yup - makes sense. But is there anywhere else in discourse where you can see tags used in topics posted in categories you don’t have access to?

I look forward to this: :thumbsup:

Would you consider this? It would solve a slew of problems for us. :slight_smile:

I thought @sam already built that feature? Perhaps he can clarify since I know there are staff-only tags here on Meta. But they are visible to everyone. Not sure if that meets your needs or not.

It’s close but them being visible to staff only is what we really want.

Can you open a different topic explaining the use case with real world examples please?

Will do @codinghorror

I just read through this topic again and realized that, actually, what you wrote here is precisely what I am requesting. If this were implemented, my OP complaint above would be resolved.

1 Like

And to satisfy all use cases to me it would seem sensible to add a site setting to ‘show empty tags to users’, ensuring /tags and the tags drop-down work in the same way, both ways. So with it enabled /tags would work as the drop-down currently does, and with it disabled the drop-down would work as /tags currently does. (I think I’ve got that the right way round)

1 Like

You got it! :rocket:

2 Likes

Can you make a new topic about it if this isn’t about the private tags issue? Save me re-reading this ancient topic…

2 Likes