Private Topics - are they supported?

The simple solution is for members to start a message sent to @staff

The main problem that is hard to navigate in a huge amounts of private massages… Of course it is possible to name them properly and then search, but still in search always need to add in:private.
In your professional view - is it possible to make plugin with this functionality and if yes - how hard is it?

Perhaps, but I think it would be much less so looking through messages compared to looking through huge amounts of topics.

A couple of forums I visit use this for support.

– Support Category
---- Bug Reports
Thread can be viewed and replied to by author and say developer group.
---- Hosting Problems
Thread can be viewed and replied to by author and say sysadmin group.

I am assuming this is what the OP wants?

2 Likes

Discourse does Groups,
And Category permissions can be set to include only certain group members.

A couple of forums I visit use this for support.

– Support Category
---- Bug Reports
Thread can be viewed and replied to by author and say developer group.
---- Hosting Problems
Thread can be viewed and replied to by author and say sysadmin group.

Can you please share if this can be achieved via some Permissions? I don’t want to use messages as private features which doesn’t fulfill our requirements

No clue. Was just suggesting that as something I’ve seen on “other forums”. :slight_smile:

Easy to do, perhaps not so easy to find.

First, go to Admin -> Groups and create the group.

Then from the category list page use the Admin menu to create a new category,

Under Security is what you’re looking for

Use the left side drop-down to select the group.
Select the appropriate permissions from the right and “add”.
Delete the “everyone”
finish up and Save

3 Likes

There is no concept of per topic permissions in Discourse outside of personal / group messages.

No clue. Was just suggesting that as something I’ve seen on “other forums”.

oh, Thanks for sharing, We are already using this functionality in our current forums so we want to make sure it is somehow supported in discourse.

@Mittineague
Is there any possibility of developing a plugin to serve this requirement? Please confirm . Thanks

1 Like

so if i use these permissions- topic authors can only see “Their” posts ?

There is no concept of per topic permissions in Discourse outside of personal / group messages.

I am sorry i am confused, @Mittineague suggesting otherwise. Is this something that can be done via Plugin? We don’t want to change the core framework and still want to get latest updates.

No, he correctly said there are category permissions. You cannot set permissions per topic.

1 Like

got it, Many thanks for the help.

I would appreciate if you can shed some light on this too ? Thanks in advance @codinghorror

As I understand your “requirements”, there is no need for a plugin,

In the sense that a message is in effect treated as a topic (without a category) control over which members can access it already exists.

Earlier you said messages were “hard to search”
Sorry, but I disagree, I do not believe that it would be more difficult for anyone to find any given message than it would be to find any given forum topic.

I guess a large part of the problem is you have said “my requirements” but I do not understand what those are.

Please provide exact and detailed specifications explaining what the requirements are.

1 Like

I wanted to restrict to a specific group the creation of threads in a particular category; everyone else can only view or reply in this category. However, no matter how I edit the permissions under the category security, the permissions remain with the “everyone” permission only with no other permissions attached. Am I misunderstanding the use of the permission feature? Would much appreciate the help. Thank you!

Can you read through this topic and see if it answers your question? How to create private categories using category security settings

2 Likes

Thank you for the link – that was helpful!

I realized in order to save the additional permissions, I would need to click the “Add Permission” button again – and that would solve my problem. Sorry for the question!

1 Like