https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

When I try to create app.yml using discourse-setup i got this:

user@dominik:/var/discourse# ./discourse-setup
Ports 80 and 443 are free for use
'samples/standalone.yml' -> 'containers/app.yml'
Found 8GB of memory and 4 physical CPU cores
setting db_shared_buffers = 2048MB
setting UNICORN_WORKERS = 8
containers/app.yml memory parameters updated.
awk: not an option: --field-separator=:

SMTP password? []:

I cant input hostname etc. What cause this problem?
I’m using Ubuntu 16.04.
`

Hello! I recently faced a similar issue with discourse as well! On line 279 of the ./discourse-setup script, you will find a line that looks like this:

read_config_result=`echo $config_line | awk  --field-separator":" '{print $2}'`

If you change the line to this:

read_config_result=`echo $config_line | awk  -F":" '{print $2}'`

things should work.

I guess awk does not have the --field-separator parameter anymore.

If you do not wish to manually replace that line, you can just use this command below:

sed -i 's/--field-separator=/-F/g' ./discourse-setup

Hope this helps!

5 Likes

It looks like we messed this up @pfaffman – can you take a look and fix ASAP? Thanks for the diagnosis @Shivam_Trivedi!

3 Likes

That’s very strange!

The awk (gawk) on my 16.04 supports the “hew style” (available when I first used GNU tools in the 1990s) --long-switches.

Can you tell what package provided your awk? Did you install some “minimal” Ubuntu distribution?

What does

dpkg -l |grep awk

say?

I’m working on a PR for this, but found another error that I’d like to resolve before sumitting. The awk (gawk) that is typically installed on Ubuntu supports the --field-separator switch. It looks like there is an original-awk package that installs an awk that must be the one that doesn’t support GNU-style switches. @Shivam_Trivedi or @Fajfi can you see what version of awk you have installed?

1 Like

I disagree that anyone messed this up. I don’t know how someone managed to get a non GNU-compatible awk, but I do agree that it should be fixed. While I was at it, I cleaned up the check-that-default-was-changed code.

@codinghorror, please see

https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker/pull/392

I would still like to know under what circumstances you install a non GNU-compatible awk(1), especially on Ubuntu 16.04.

2 Likes

@pfaffman

user@dominik:~# dpkg -l |grep awk
ii mawk 1.3.3-17ubuntu2 amd64 a pattern scanning and text processing language

I’m using default ubuntu 16.04 installation on my VPS provider. I can also use my iso so maybe it will be better solution?

This solution works:

sed -i 's/--field-separator=/-F/g' ./discourse-setup

But when I want to start discourse on my domain i got:
# Cannot load app
It looks like you are offline! Please check your network connection and try again.

Where can I find logs?

Thanks. That answers it for me. The standard Ubuntu comes with gawk. our VPS must have someone who prefers mawk for some reason.

I fixed it in the PR. I don’t mean to be a GNU fanboy.

If you’re getting “Cannot load app” it means that the site is down. I recommend that you do a ./launcher rebuild app (or perhaps just ./launcher start app).

5 Likes

Looks like we did mess this up after all :wink: thanks for the fix!

I’d definitely be sure to test on stock Ubuntu first.

3 Likes

Digital Ocean installs gawk. Every Ubuntu install that I can find has gawk installed. 14.04 - Do I need to install awk or is it inbuilt in Ubuntu? - Ask Ubuntu claims that mawk is the default, but Ubuntu – Error says taht lsb-core includes

OR? But no explanation of what “or” means.

All I can figure is that there is some gnu-utils package that gets installed in a /stock install/ but that there is a minimal install that doesn’t override mawk with gawk.

2 Likes