Profanity and watched words

Hi,
We have just set up our forum and looking for a way to set up the profanity and watched word list. Is there a default list which we can import? or any tips and documentation about this?
Thanks,
Dan

1 Like

You can upload a list from Logs → Watched Words → Add from file.

/admin/logs/watched_words/action/block

If you search the web for profanity word list, you’ll get many choices.

2 Likes

Thanks Omar,
I’ve imported a list of words but I hit a limit at 1000. Do you know if Discourse has a 1000 word limit? My list has about 1700 words (it’s Facebook’s profanity word list)

Dan

1 Like

Yes, there is a limit of 1000 watched words. The watched word feature doesn’t have a lot of documentation, but you can find some details about it, including the 1000 word limit, here: Automatic Actions based on Words found in posts.

2 Likes

Thanks @simon, do you have a recommended list of <1000 words? The pre-made lists I found were 1400-1700 words.

Dan

1 Like

I’m somewhat reluctant to link to a profanity list here, but what the heck :slight_smile: The list.txt file from this repo is probably a good starting point: https://github.com/RobertJGabriel/Google-profanity-words. It has 451 entries.

Note that depending on what types of discussions happen on your forum, you might not want to add all words from that list.

4 Likes

Thanks Simon! definitely useful.

1 Like