Profanity and watched words

Hi,
We have just set up our forum and looking for a way to set up the profanity and watched word list. Is there a default list which we can import? or any tips and documentation about this?
Thanks,
Dan

1 Like

You can upload a list from Logs → Watched Words → Add from file.

/admin/logs/watched_words/action/block

If you search the web for profanity word list, you’ll get many choices.

2 Likes

Thanks Omar,
I’ve imported a list of words but I hit a limit at 1000. Do you know if Discourse has a 1000 word limit? My list has about 1700 words (it’s Facebook’s profanity word list)

Dan

1 Like

Yes, there is a limit of 1000 watched words. The watched word feature doesn’t have a lot of documentation, but you can find some details about it, including the 1000 word limit, here: Automatic Actions based on Words found in posts.

2 Likes

Thanks @simon, do you have a recommended list of <1000 words? The pre-made lists I found were 1400-1700 words.

Dan

1 Like

I’m somewhat reluctant to link to a profanity list here, but what the heck :slight_smile: The list.txt file from this repo is probably a good starting point: GitHub - RobertJGabriel/Google-profanity-words: Full List of Bad Words and Top Swear Words Banned by Google as they closed it. It has 451 entries.

Note that depending on what types of discussions happen on your forum, you might not want to add all words from that list.

3 Likes

Thanks Simon! definitely useful.

1 Like