Profile, messages, bookmarks window: Include Full Name?

I received feedback from one of our forum users that she was confused about whether or not she was logged in properly because when she clicked on the avatar:

• as a new user, the automatically assigned “M” didn’t mean anything to her
  • the username preceding the “Welcome to Collab Discuss!” made her think that it was part of a sentence welcoming that user - a user which is clearly not her account

These aspects combined caused her to reach out to support to clarify that she was logged in properly to the site.

What does the Discourse team think about including the user’s full name in the window to help avoid such confusion?

2 Likes

Kind of in favour of this, I’m just not sure where we’d put the name! The profile tab is pretty tightly packed as it is. Would love to see some mockups (they don’t need to be pretty. Just wanna see suggestions of how you’d shift things around to fit the name in there).

I like this @codinghorror, I think its kind of helpful, the word “Profile” is kind of boring

8 Likes

I worry about name length here, provided there is CSS to limit crazy length it seems fine to me.

3 Likes

I’m in favor of this too… I never liked the “Profile” heading.

Could also be username and not full name.

If the name gets too long, you can truncate it with …

1 Like

This works for me:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/8496f8dfc22555ad50c5ac24a14818e2e0941263

10 Likes