Pushing the boundaries of supported installs?

I’m looking to install a Discourse multisite on an Ampere Altra ARM-based server using an external dockerized Postgresql version 16 with TimescaleDB pgvectorscale extensions. Is this an officially supported install configuration?

Just kidding. It seems to work so far and I’ll be doing more testing. If anyone has experience with this or warnings/pitfalls, do let me know!

3 Likes

That’s great! Indeed there are many “unsupported” installs that work just fine. It’s just that they pose the posibility of many issues that are difficult or impossible to diagnose here. External Postgres is among the easier things to make work. I know that PG15 is “supported”. I’d expect PG16 to work, as generally new Postgres versions are backward compatible, though there was a time that some newer-than-supported postgres had some strange issue (which has since been fixed).

3 Likes

I wonder if it would make sense to have a ‘beta’ channel so that things like PG16 could be more aggressively introduced and tested esp. among the self-install crowed. This will help identify any issues and help a more rapid adoption of newer versions of PG which come with performance and feature improvements.

It’s pretty unusual that a newer version of PG would cause problems, and it would just be a channel of edge cases, I’m afraid. For the most part, things work the way an expert would expect, and advertising that so-and-so works just fine would just encourage poeple who are not experts to think that they can make it work too.

2 Likes