Putting a discourse development server behind proxy seems to mess up some (but not most) URLs

(Ryan Mulligan) #1

I’m running nginx in front of Discourse with

upstream discourse {
  server localhost:3000;
}

server {
  listen 80 default_server;

location / {
    proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
    proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
    proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
    proxy_pass http://discourse;
  }

}

The avatar that appears to the left of the post has a url like:

http://192.168.1.23/letter_avatar/ryantm/90/5_a4c6c7825becdf9b31d9ea60fd0b5bf6.png

but the avatar that appears in quotes in posts is a url like:

http://localhost:3000/letter_avatar_proxy/v2/letter/r/9fc29f/40.png

It seems like the URLs for the quote avatars are being generated in a different way than the other avatars.

Inbound gutter post-links are not relative urls
(Matt Palmer) #2

Hmm, interesting… it looks like the quote avatar URL is totally broken there, using localhost:3000 as the host is never the right idea. What version of Discourse are you running?

(Ryan Mulligan) #3

I don’t think its totally broken. localhost:3000 is where the development server is that I’m running. I’m running d34b4d3 (the latest Master). I might totally have something misconfigured, but I thought it was strange that some links were working and others were not.

(Ryan Mulligan) #4

Here’s a screenshot of it:

(Sam Saffron) #5

Did you try rebaking?

also @eviltrout :bug: :arrow_double_up:

(Ryan Mulligan) #6

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that and it stayed the same.

(Sam Saffron) #7

What is the difference between the 2 URLs, one that works and one that does not?

(Ryan Mulligan) #8

Yes. The nginx server is running at 192.168.1.23:80 and it is proxying all connections to a discourse server running on localhost:3000 (via bundle exec rails s). When I connect to 192.168.1.23:80 from another computer, I see the regular discourse site, but the quote avatar images have a img url with a host of localhost:3000, which is not accessible to the other computer.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

This is the relevant phrase.

Is this true @eviltrout?

(Mittineague) #10

I don’t know if this is applicable to your case.

On my GitHub - VirtualBox - Vagrant localhost development set-up I had some problems with image URLs.

I needed to go to Admin -> Settings -> Developer and change “port” from the default 3000 to 4000

Knock-wood, no problems since.

(Ryan Mulligan) #11

The link I circled in this screenshot is also using localhost:3000 as the host. That link is supposed to link to the topic this post was split off from.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

What is the site name in app.yml? And you’re not using any developer site settings are you?

(Ryan Mulligan) #13

I am running this discourse instance locally on my machine out of the git repository with bundle exec rails s. I can’t find any file called app.yml. I see references to it relating to docker containers. I am not using a docker container.

How do I find the “site name” when running in development?

All the developer settings are at their defaults according to the settings page:

(Jeff Atwood) #14

If this is a development setup then this is a Dev topic, know that we do not support these port overrides on a production site. That is why there are so many warnings on those settings.

(Mittineague) #15

That sounds like it is your problem. When you first run vagrant up look at the ports used

==> default: Preparing network interfaces based on configuration...
    default: Adapter 1: nat
    default: Adapter 2: hostonly
==> default: Forwarding ports...
    default: 3000 (guest) => 4000 (host) (adapter 1)
    default: 1080 (guest) => 4080 (host) (adapter 1)
    default: 22 (guest) => 2222 (host) (adapter 1)

If you see the “3000 => 4000” try changing your Admin -> Developer port from 3000 to 4000
You may need to “rebuild HTML” posts that have the broken links in them

(Ryan Mulligan) #16

I’m not using Vagrant; I’m just running it like I run any other rails app.

It really doesn’t make sense to me that most links / URLs work fine. There really must be some differences in how the links are generated. I think this is at least weird if not a bug.

This setup came up because I was quickly trying to prototype having nginx in front of Discourse. I will try it in a production setup to see if that solves my problem.

(Kane York) #17

Because you’re running in development, you need to set force hostname to 192.168.1.23 and port to the empty string.

(Ryan Mulligan) #18

Thanks! That fixed the quote avatar image urls (after rebuilding the html of the post), but not that split topic link I mentioned in Putting a discourse development server behind proxy seems to mess up some (but not most) URLs