Quiet a Pesky User

We have a nice community, we also have one user here and there that causes quite a ruckas. How do we “ghost” or quiet a single user so everyone else can enjoy their happy lives without kicking out the user?

3 Likes

You could use the rails console to have all users ignore the user.

2 Likes

In my opinion you’d be better off to explain the rules of your community to this individual and remove him if he keeps breaking them.

13 Likes

That’s what I think too.

4 Likes

Fully agree. Start with a conversation defining expectations. If they continue to refuse to follow the community guidelines, you have every right to suspending the person for a length of time you feel appropriate. Your community isn’t a democracy; it’s yours to protect and nurture! One person not following the guidelines can ruin the experience for everyone else involved.

9 Likes

I would just send a warning. If they carry on just silence them for a bit

8 Likes

I have to agree. If your alternative is to have every other member ignore this user, why are you preserving their account? “Ghosting” is rude in real life, enforced this way on a forum it’s essentially bullying. Imagine standing in a room talking to people and no one’s even looking at you because you’ve been placed in an invisible box you can’t see.

Educate them on how to interact, use the features available in Discourse to enforce it, and then when they’ve continued to ignore your requests, invite them to move along.

Silencing temporarily can be a very, very effective tool.

9 Likes