Read All New button

The problem is, that is exactly what Suggested Topics at the bottom does… I’m confused because you seem to think it doesn’t do this.

Suggested Topics ALWAYS puts your unread and new items first, clicking on any of those will take you to where you last read, thus you start at the first unread post.

Then when you finish those sequentially, the suggested topics at the bottom will have the next set of unread/new topics for you to view, again taking you to the next unread post in that topic you’ve previously read.

In reality, you are simply looking for a shortcut key that opens that first suggested link while reading a topic. Or you can simply click that first link in the suggested topics, as its indicative to what you haven’t read yet (at least until there are no more blue dots or blue circles with numbers in them next to the item).

Case in point. I started about 4 posts up on this topic, because that is where I had left off from yesterday. Today, I finished reading to the end, and look at my Suggested Topics

Notice how it prioritized unread posts/topics in the Feature category! It did exactly as you outlined, all I have to do is click the first one, which takes me to

Where I just read that unread post, and again, look at Suggested Topics, it now shows the next unread post/topic in the Feature category for me to read next!

So in all reality, what you are describing exists. And eventually, if I do enough of these, I’ll start to see New topics, which have a slightly lower prioritization than unread (as unread is indicative that you showed interest in the past in that topic, new, there is no such indication, it may be of interest, it might not be).

Granted, after reading your prior post again, you seem to want to take the unread posts of each topic and place them all on a page together. Which seems crazy, as you lose a lot of context that may be required. What if the new post in topic A is in reference to post 2? How do you figure that out (especially if they simply used the reply button on post 2 of Topic A instead of quoting post 2?

I’m not sure such a feature would be that helpful, it could be done in a plugin though.

4 Likes

I don’t want to take anything from where it already belongs, but only conceive a fast navigation shortcut. I’m very confused because everybody seems to interpret a very simple thing in as many ways as there are people talking about it. My idea is so simple nobody can seem to wrap their mind around it.

Let’s say “Suggested” does what is needed–I think it does. Great! We don’t have to code it. Then, implementing a “next” button / workflow should be easy. It wouldn’t replace anything, it would simply allow to blaze through the “Suggeted topics” without having to choose anything nor to click anything: it would simply get you through the list, one post after another, one topic after another, one category after another.

Why is that interesting? Because then you can read/skip/bookmark/forget, etc. and review novelties faster than ever. I guess most of the keyboard shortcuts exist already. I think what I miss is alt-space, aka. a contextual ‘next’ button.

I’ll try to give it a shot as a plugin. That will train me into making those.

1 Like

So in essence you want this when reading a topic? Yes? If that is true, this is the file you want to look at.
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/app/assets/javascripts/discourse/lib/keyboard-shortcuts.js.es6

3 Likes

Here’s what I do which simulates your Read All New button:

Like most of the @team member, I read all of the topics/posts here. Here’s my morning routine

1. Go to https://meta.discourse.org
  2. Click the first unread/new topic (sometimes it’s random, sometimes it’s the first that catch my interest)
  3. Press j to go down the topic as I read the posts
  4. Once I’ve reached the end of the topic, pressing j again will select the first Suggested Topics (which prioritise unread/new topics)
  5. Press o to open that topic, which will go to the latest unread post of that topic
  6. Repeat steps 3-5 until I’ve read everything

Often I press l to :heart: a post.
Sometimes I press b to :bookmark: the currently selected post or f to :bookmark: the whole topic ("f" stands for favorite)
Sometimes I press r to reply to the currently selected post.

The combination of Suggested Topics and keyboard shortcuts makes it really easy and super fast to Read All New :wink:

11 Likes

Thank you @zogstrip for this detailed process. I can live with it. Let’s see how it works for me. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

very often in Régis case :wink:

9 Likes

I’ts b for “bookmark” here.

Edit: Actually, f does something as well. It toggles the “Bookmark” button at the very end of a topic, but it does not reflect that in the initial post (i.e. the bookmark icon of OP). b bookmarks the currently highlighted post instead.

2 Likes