Reassigning Discourse Category on Wordpress Published Article

I was wondering if this is possible at the moment, because if it is I may have missed something?

I needed to change an article’s Discourse category so I assumed selecting the dropdown for a different category and hitting the update button would re-assign it.

This didn’t happen. The only way I could fix it was by deleting a row in the DB and then re-assigning it.

Would this functionality be difficult to implement? Maybe a box that says ‘Re-assign category’ that could be ticked in the Discourse pane on each post would work. It then overwrites the Discourse category ID in the Wordpress DB.

I understand comments wouldn’t be carried over, but as a simplistic option this would be a nice to have :smiley:

Er… what? Changing category is possible, just edit the first post and change only the category. I am not following here.

Think I may have been confusing myself yesterday.

I was talking about changing the link between Wordpress and Discourse category for an article, not how to change a category on Discourse for a topic.

However, from your response I’m assuming Wordpress just tracks the topic id and doesn’t really care about the category, am I right? In that case simply changing the category in Discourse would be all that was needed I assume.

This might be a question for @simon

Yes, that’s all you have to do, the link on WordPress doesn’t need to change. Also, if you edit an existing Discourse topic in the WordPress editor, changing the topic’s category will have no effect. The plugin’s UI should probably be changed to make that clear.

4 Likes