Recent update breaks option+up/down in post editor

Option-left and option-right still work — these move the cursor one word to the left or right, respectively.

Command-left and command-right still work — these move the cursor to the left or right side of the edit window, respectively.

Command-up and command-down still work — these move the cursor to the top or bottom of the post, respectively.

Option-up and option-down no longer work — these used to move the cursor to the top or bottom of the current paragraph, or to the top or bottom of the next paragraph if starting from the top or bottom of the current paragraph.

Suddenly, in 3.2.0.beta1-dev (f32c95c1b9), option-up and option-down do nothing, drastically impacting my editorial productivity.

This appears to have happened in this upgrade —

from_version: 8c75fa5dfd6b6a0f54bfd8c82a39aac7a742e557, 93b123397d18727e79c48c005778620b238ae482
repository: /var/www/discourse, /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-spoiler-alert

— or this upgrade —

from_version: db0db26bcc800efb883758d190e9236fb530fbc2
repository: /var/www/discourse/plugins/docker_manager

Please fix, with some urgency!

2 Likes

I cannot edit my post? That’s odd, and frustrating!

FWIW, I’m running Google Chrome Version 116.0.5845.110 (Official Build) (x86_64) on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G9323), and seeing this behavior on this site as well as the one I was originally working on.

I do have a number of browser extensions installed, but this behavior isn’t seen in text entry boxes on any other sites, so I’m comfortable blaming it on Discourse.

It would be great to at least get an ack, even if nobody thinks this is worth fixing quickly if at all.

Hi TallTed (but how tall?),

Sorry for the late reply.

There’s a time window to edit our own posts :slight_smile:

I’m a mac beginner, I’ve never used + or + before.

But I notice it works as you describe on various text editors but not in Discourse’s composer. If you’re certain it worked before, then I think it may be considered as a bug recently introduced.

1 Like

Hi TallTed (but how tall?),

6’8". Tall enough?

If you’re certain it worked before, then I think it may be considered as a bug recently introduced.

Yes, quite certain. I’ve been using Macs since the original, and these key chords were significant productivity boosters way back when (I don’t remember exactly when they first arrived, nor in what software), and I’ve used them everywhere ever since. I can’t think of another tool where they don’t work, today.

2 Likes

We had a look but are unable to find what is causing this, I put a pr-welcome on this in case the community can help

1 Like