Redacted sensitive data - still visible in post history?

The ability to see a post’s edit history is great for ensuring credibility, as defined in the Muut manifesto.

However, if a user has mistakenly included sensitive data (real names, accounts, passwords etc.) in a post and an admin intervened to edit it, can something be done so that the sensitive data isn’t visible in the post history?

(all I could find was this, but that was a bug)

There is a workaround that Admins can do:

1. Edit -> Copy the post content
  2. Delete the post
  3. Create a new post omitting the data then change its owner to the original owner.

You can also hide revisions of the edit history by opening the edit history and clicking the hide revision button (hint it is the trash can). Then only staff/admins can see that revision.

18 Likes

Seriously? That’s the first time I heard of this feature! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Don’t feel bad, I also did not know about this feature until that post :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Here’s a link to a topic about this feature, which links to other topics previously:

5 Likes

Ooh, neat! This will be useful.

How can I delete a revision from the history on my own edited posts? I don’t have the little pencil. I’m guessing that I don’t have the little pencil because it’s assumed that I know that I edited my post, so I don’t need to be informed of that fact. But is that the only way to access the revision history?

No you should have a pencil, unless you do it within the ninja edit window

Ah, maybe I’ve just been editing really fast without realizing it.

Edit: yeah, I think that’s it. My brain goes too fast sometimes.