Redesigning the default category page

Creating a forum with loads of sub-categories - and it looks messy! I was just going to create a post on this when I was this tread - great discussion.

In my view the problem is with adjacency. It just confuses the heck out of things - recent posts are chronological, categories are not. Thebump.com’s page is not perfect but what I like about it is that one can glimse recent activity first but when a user wants to search for some category, scrolling down to that ‘zone’ to me is more sensible. I guess it’s that scrolling down just seems more natural to me - particularly on smaller screens - than seeing seemingly competing info side by side.

So whatever you guys do, would it be possible to also have an option of something that represents the thebump.com’s layout?

I didn’t ready anything in this thread about the issue I mentioned, but I could have missed it.

I just pulled the latest update and there are no updates for the new topics on the blended Categories page, as there are on the Latest page. Also, no orange “last visited” demarcator.

Someone had an idea on my forum regarding of this new category page.

I did a (not so great) mockup to explain it better :

• In the category page, we keep the two columns presentation : Category & Latest
  • But when we click on the category name (or we click on a new button like in my screen), we stay in the Categories page but the Latest column become the list of the category’s latest topics.

Here an example with this forum. In the categories page, I click on a button, and the latest column become the Support column, with the latest 20+ topics. I click on the bug category, the right column changes again, etc.

You could argue that it would be redundant with the page of the different categories, and not really more practical than the Category dropdown menu, but I think as an homepage, it could be interesting.

4 Likes

Trying to follow this thread but it’s a little difficult. Is this still being worked on or is there a solution.

By this I mean mobile view defaults to Latest whereas desktop view defaults to half and half? Thanks

1 Like

Any ETA on this? I’m finding it a bit irritating to manually check for new messages all the time (1st world problem I know). The “half-size” latest view is not as full featured as the real thing…

6 Likes

What could cause the Categories to not align correctly with Latest. They should be side by side, but what could (besides CSS margin changes) cause the Latest to flip down and only be visible under the last Category name in the Categories list? This question pertains to fully hosted Discourse versions.

Screen shot please I need to look at styling that page, pr welcome

2 Likes

Strangely, they appear side by side when the page is zoomed to both 90% and 110%…just not 100%

Figured it out…“tags” caused the problem…too many tags on a post caused the “Latest” threads to be too long, which caused it to flip under Categories.

8 Likes

Hmm can we protect against this @neil? In the CSS somehow?

3 Likes

I can’t reproduce the problem. I can tag a topic so the tags wrap onto 2 lines and the latest list still stays on the right side.

@Harold_Martin Are you using a theme that adds padding or margins?

From the screenshot, it looks like he used the bullet tag style, did you try that style?

Edited:
I can’t recreate it either though, so I don’t think the tag style matters

2 Likes

Bullet style is fine for me too. It’s another episode of CSI: CSS.

7 Likes

Do multiple tags on the THREADS section (the right side - Latest side), not the categories (left side). We don’t have any custom CSS/HTML…it’s fully hosted at Discourse and we’re using your guys settings so whatever controls you all have, that’s what we’re using.

We’ve replicated it a lot on our instance…one “character” too much causes the Latest to loop down under Categories… We’ve found the character “limit” on tags (for the Threads displayed on that Latest section) to be 53 characters.

Yeah, your tags are flipping to a second line. Ours are not…instead it’s causing the whole thing to be dropped under Categories. If it’s a setting somewhere, we’d love to know it.

Aha, I reproduced it. @cpradio and I both had dashes in our tags so they could wrap. Without dashes, I can see the problem.

4 Likes

So what should we do or will you all be implementing a fix? We’ve been discussing limiting the number of tags and the length of each tag to prevent this from happening on our instance.

I’ve got a fix that I’m testing. In the meantime, I think you should limit the number of tags to 5. It looks like your tags are short, so that should be enough until the fix is deployed.

FYI: this actually revealed another problem where the tags could ruin all topic lists on mobile browsers. I’m adding a white space between tag elements so browsers can naturally wrap them as needed.

13 Likes