Removal of ember-addons/ember-computed-decorators

@markvanlan The move of the decorators from ember-addons/ember-computed-decorators to discourse-common/utils/decorators is about to break a number of plugins and themes as soon as folks hit the big blue update button.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/8312

Would it be possible to leave the existing decorators in place (in addition to the new ones) to give us time to make the transition?

3 Likes

This should not be a breaking change. Here in the discourse-loader file, we have added an alias, so that anytime you try and import ember-addons/ember-computed-decorators, it will automatically load discourse-common/utils/decorator instead.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/15f6f57cdcebc7583ddb5a311174d10a7300ae4a/app/assets/javascripts/discourse-loader.js#L6

3 Likes

Yeah, I saw that. I’m not sure why, but that doesn’t seem to be working in all cases. I’m gettting a lot of requirejs errors that seem to resolve once I move to the new import.

1 Like

Are you able to see if it is happening when using require instead of import?

That was a bug that I thought I had fixed.

4 Likes

Hi,

Here is the error message I hit on my Discourse site:

Does this still need to be updated in the code base?

I can’t see exactly where that error is coming from (what plugin is using ember-addons/ember-compted-decorators), but it does eventually need to be fixed.

That is a warning, rather than an error because ember-addons/ember-compted-decorators is still functional for now.

5 Likes

Thanks @markvanlan,

What method do you use or recommend to identify a plugin that’s using deprecated assets?

I would see what plugins you have installed on your instance, then go to each repository in Github and search for ember-addons/ember-compted-decorators.

I believe some of our official Discourse plugins still need this updated so it could be one of our repos.

4 Likes

Can you expand that and see the full backtrace?

3 Likes

I don’t know how to see the backtrace behind a browser console warning?

I do know how to grep plugins though :smile:

$ grep -r ember-addons/ember-computed-decorators plugins/|grep import|awk -F / '{print $2}'|uniq|sort
discourse-canned-replies
discourse-local-dates
discourse-presence
discourse-push-notifications
discourse-saved-searches
procourse-memberships
6 Likes

Hi, I can’t currently reproduce it. But, the phenomenal @RGJ just updated the plugins on our site and I think this resolved the error? He pointed me to these updates:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse-data-explorer/commit/277346b09709deac714d70c8cbd525f69f0984b4

2 Likes

Nice Grep Richard! :slight_smile:

I don’t think this is a lot to panic about.

It’s the responsibility of plugin makers to minimise these warnings ASAP too.

I’ve resolved quite a few recently and there will be more. It’s a never ending story :wink:

They are just warnings and nothing to really worry about unless they are ignored for too long.

2 Likes

Thanks. I love that Discourse continues to improve and maintain its code!

4 Likes