Reply-as-linked-topic tweaks

I have students reply-as-linked-topic often. I will post a topic with a challenge for them to accomplish and have them replay-as-linked-topic with their solution.

One tricky thing for them to figure out is that when you reply-as-linked-topic, the whole message is quoted. This is never what we want to happen, as everyone has read the original topic. It is tedious to select all of the text but leave in the “Continuing discussion from” header. I wish there were an easier way to accomplish that. What usually happens is that people remove the “continuing. . .” line and sometimes I cannot figure out what it was that they were trying to do. Would it be possible to have the editor start with the whole quote section selected, maybe?

r and t shortcuts confusing

I was delighted to learn that there is a keyboard shortcut for reply-as-linked-topic, but using it is tricky. It won’t work unless a post in the topic is selected. Pressing j or k moves off the topic down to the first available topic in the “Suggested topics”, so the only way to use the t keyboard shortcut is to first type “kk”

I’m pretty sure that the r shortcut used to work without having to select a message. This seems new.

9 Likes

I agree that this would be my preferred default behavior when no text is highlighted.

Note also that when you do highlight some text before clicking ‘reply as linked topic’, then it only quotes what was highlighted, but you don’t get the “Continuing discussion” line at all.

I would propose the following changes:

1. When no text is highlighted, start post with the “Continuing discussion” line only.
  2. When text is highlighted, start with the “Continuing discussion” line and include the highlighted text as a quote.
9 Likes

Sure can you take this change @techapj? Might be easy since it is mostly removing text.

5 Likes

Okay, done! :scissors:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/3251bcb405f24c235cdc9f1e3680205605ab201e

10 Likes

Holy moly. That’s less than 24 hours. With a little luck it’ll get rolled out to me before the semester starts.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.