Reply text box as alternative to current button approach

Responding to some comments from @codinghorror over in the originating thread: How difficult would it be to make the Discourse UI more like Flarum?

The “text input box” (not really a text input box) is only at the bottom of the topic. It does not replace all reply buttons, only the last one that in Discourse is highlighted in blue. I think what it does is encourage response, but not premature response.

As a “very online guy” myself, I seldom have trouble feeling confident to respond, but surely you know that many people do. Initial participation in forums can have a high barrier to entry, and this is one of the things discussed (and not yet resolved IMO) in threads like this one: Circle.so vs Discourse

Obviously you want to avoid the problem you raised: people responding too quickly, knee-jerk, etc. But hopefully we can trust that by the time they reach the bottom of the topic, they’re ready to respond. Or at least, Discourse already seems to trust that, so… :wink:

Depending on how this will work, the text box at the bottom of the topic might make even more sense then…

1 Like